Chapter 12

A couple hours into their Disney movie marathon, everyone was fast asleep. Alex and Eliza were curled up together under a fuzzy blanket, Peggy and John were leaned against each other (John with his arm around her of course), and Maria in the middle of the two couples. Eventually, Maria awoke to I'll Make A Man Out Of You from Mulan and hummed along quietly.
Maria sighed once the song was finished, and stood up from the couch. She walked over to the door and left, standing outside for quite a while.
John woke up at the sound of the door opening and closing softly, so he looked over Peggy to find out who left. Maria. He carefully moved so he wouldn't wake Peggy up, then tip-toed over to the door and outside.
"Hey Maria" He called out once outside. He wrapped his arms around himself, feeling the cold night air settle in around him. Maria looked over to him but didn't respond back.
"Maria" John said again, walking over to her. Once close enough, he found out she was crying.
"Oh Mar Mar." He tried to pull her into a hug, but she pushed away, shaking her head.
"No John."
"Did I do something wrong? Maria, what's up?" John asked, concern etched into his features.
"I'm.....I'm just so sorry John. I'm so so sorry."
"For what?"
"For ruining your relationship, for James, for ruining your life." Maria cried even harder and sat on the ground, her face buried in her arms. John sat down next to her.
"Maria, you didn't ruin my relationship. You couldn't control what James did, and sure as hell you didn't ruin my life. Mar Mar, you're my best friend, and I wouldn't trade the world for you."
"But John, it was me who pressured Alex and me who decided to date James and just me who-"
"Maria, put all that shit in the past and keep it there. Alex isn't...Alex is another story. Just don't blame it on yourself for other people's actions. Don't beat yourself up for what James did. He's an asshole and we can all agree on that."
"True."
The two settled into a comfortable silence. John looked up at the night sky, a seemingly black void dotted with millions of tiny lights, the clouds moving away. Maria looked up too eventually.
"Beautiful night, huh?" John said calmly, not taking his eyes off of the sky.
"The stars remind me of your freckles" Maria said with a small laugh.
"I don't have that many freckles" John said.
"Eh, I don't know. It kinda looks like it." John rolled his eyes. Maria sighed.
"Things were simpler back then, wasn't it?" Maria asked out of nowhere.
"When's 'then' exactly?" John asked.
"When we were kids, even before we met at the orphanage."
John thought back to the time when he last saw his family and smiled to himself.
"Yeah." Thoughts of Maria's childhood flooded her memory, Maria smiling to herself also.
"I wish we could go back in time" she said after a minute.
"Me too" John agreed. Maria looked at John. John looked at her and smiled.
"John."
"Yes Mar Mar?"
"I'm pregnant."
"I'm sorry, what?"