Chapter 15

The soft glow of the rising sun flooded the room, reaching the closed eyes of Peggy first. She shifted in her seat, burying her face on John's chest.
"Turn off the light" she mumbled.
"It's the sun babe" John responded, gently rubbing her arm.
"Turn off the sun then." John quietly chuckled at her response. Eliza stretched and yawned, looking at the tv.
"Aw man, I missed Mulan didn't I?" She asked, seeing the menu select on the screen for that movie. Maria nodded, answering her question.
"But I like Mulan" Eliza said, sounding like a kid. Alex rubbed his eyes and grabbed the remote.
"We can watch it again love" he said. Eliza smiled and snuggled into him. Alex felt a deep pang of guilt as he started the movie.

"I'm bored" Peggy whined as the movie credits rolled again.
"Y'all wanna play a card game or somethin'?" John asked.
"Ooo how 'bout Uno?" Alex suggested. John ignored him.
"We got Monopoly, Cards Against Humanity" John named.
"I like Uno" Eliza said.
"Me too" Peggy agreed.
"Uno it is." John went to his room to grab the cards.
"Maria, you okay? You're kinda quiet" Eliza asked.
"Yeah, just tired. That's all" Maria lied. John emerged from his room with his cards.
"Alright, game time."

"Uno!" Alex said. Everyone placed their cards and Eliza cautiously put down her next card, leading to Alex slamming his down on the pile.
"Boom! I won!" He cheered.
"Damnit Alex!" Peggy pouted.
"How do you keep winning?" Eliza asked, throwing down her cards.
"I think he's cheating" John said, slightly emphasizing the 'cheating' part. Alex cleared his throat.
"H-How could I do that?" Alex asked.
"I don't know Alexander, how could you do that?" John shot back.
"Ease up on Alex, John, it was my idea" Maria broke in.
"Why would you help Alex cheat?" Peggy asked.
"I thought, uh, maybe I could trick him and help myself win-"
"But all you did was lose in the end" John interrupted her, shooting her quick glare. Maria looked down at her hands.
"Are you guys okay?" Eliza asked.
"Yeah, why'd ya ask?" John inquired innocently.
"It's just you three seem off today. Is something happening?"
Alex and Maria looked at each other. Alex nodded at Maria, urging her to tell what's up. Maria took a breath and began.
"I'm pregnant."
Eliza gasped and Peggy squealed.
"Ohmygosh Maria! Have you thought of names? How long have you known?" Peggy asked a thousand questions.
"Who's the father?" Eliza asked. Maria opened her mouth to speak but Alex cut her off.
"Hercules" he said on the fly. Maria shot a look saying 'are you for real?' and played along.
"Yup. Hercules." Eliza and Peggy urged her to continue.
"We've been dating for a long time now, in secret of course. But um, the secret's out now I guess" Maria lied, faking a smile.
"The reason I'm acting weird's because I don't know how to tell him" Maria explained.
John picked up his phone and sent a text message, then placed it on silent.
{John; Herc, you gotta pretend you're the father of Maria's baby- NO QUESTIONS}
{Herc; What
John
JOHN
WHAT}
———————

John kissed Peggy's cheek softly.
"Bye John" she said.
"Get home safely" John responded.
"You too- Wait, that's not what I meant." John laughed at Peggy's failed attempt at a response.
"See ya later alligator" Eliza said to Alex. He lightly chuckled.
"In a while crocodile." Eliza kissed his cheek, then the two sisters departed from their residence.
John closed the door.
"Hercules?! What the actual fuck guys-"
"It was the first name that came into my mind" Alex explained.
"Well, it was fucking stupid. You could've, oh I don't know, told her the truth!"
"Why would I do that? That's not what I meant for that to sound like. That sounded really bad-"
"It really did" Maria agreed.
"What I meant was we were having a good time. I didn't wanna ruin it like right then and there-"
"But it's gonna make telling her later even worse man." John ran his hand through his hair and exhaled.
"I'll be in my room. Don't bother me. Figure this out Alexander." John left the room and slammed his bedroom door. Maria's phone then rung.
"He-"
"Maria are you pregnant and why did John tell me to pretend to be the father?" Maria cleared her throat.
"Yes I am and do you want the whole story?"
"...no. No I don't. Just, how long do I have to pretend for?" Herc asked.
"Maybe like...How Long should he pretend Alex?" Maria asked him.
"Um...couple months" Alex said.
"A couple of months" Maria repeated into the phone.
"Oh my fucking goodness-"
"Alrighty then, thanks Herc. Byeeee!"
————————-