Chapter 16

Months passed. Maria started feeling more positive about her future child, and John's position changed too. He started acting more nice and sincere to Maria, now that the child was on its way, but his attitude towards Alexander stayed the same- maybe even gotten worse. He reminded him everyday to tell Eliza, and everyday Alex never did.
"Alex, tell her the truth."
"I will John, just give me some time."
"You took long enough, just do it-"
"John, this isn't your relationship, is it? Now get outta my business and fuck off, okay?" Alex just couldn't bring himself to it.
Hercules didn't question anything. He knew Maria needed a friend, so he stayed there through her pregnancy.
"You're the best fake dad ever" Maria said one day.
"I know" Herc had joked.
Maria spent less time at John and Alex's apartment, and more with Herc.
'It makes sense, since we're fake dating right?' She thought.
Anytime she and Herc we're out with their friends they would act like the best couple ever, and as time went on the 'acting' part was less fake and the feelings were more real.
"Earth to Herc" John said, snapping his fingers in front of his friend's face. Herc looked at John, a slight blush on his cheeks.
"Yes John?"
"You were staring at Maria for a pretty long time there buddy."
"No, no I wasn't."
"Herc, do you like her?"
"What, no! I'm just being a good fake boyfriend-"
"Herc's got a crush!"
"Shut up!"
So much had changed in five months. Alexander now worked with President Washington, bringing fresh ideas of what to do now with the new nation. Thomas was apart of Washington's cabinet too. Working in government in the past really had its perks. Each month that passed, Alexander seemed to work harder, spend more days at the office, and he seemed more distant from everyone.
"Take a break" Eliza urged him to do.
"I will love, just let me finish this paper" was his response almost every time. Despite all of this, Peggy and Alex became closer friends. In the past it would usually be John looking over Alex, but ever since the pregnancy it was Peggy who did. She brought coffee to Alex at work and they would talk for hours and hours.
John had enrolled in some college classes and planned on being a pediatrician. Eliza was studying to be one too, so many times she would study and help John out through his course.
So much had changed in five months, and it was about to change drastically.
————————

{Alex; Heyyyyy Liza}
{Eliza; Heyyyyy Lexi}
{Alex; I was wondering if you and Pegs would like to hang today}
"Peggy you wanna hang with John and Alex today?" Eliza called from her room.
"Yeah!" Peggy yelled back.
{Eliza; sounds great. Be there in ten?}
{Alex; 👌}
"Ima go get some donuts. You think they'll want donuts? Ima get them anyway" Peggy said.
"Alright, I'll meet you there then. And get me a cinnamon twist."
"I gotchu sis."

"Do you guys have anything good to eat? Like seriously, a half eatin' grilled cheese sandwich? Why is that even in the fridge?" Herc asked from the kitchen.
"Stop coming over and eatin all of our food and maybe then we'll have something in here" John said.
"And Alex was supposed to get groceries like three days ago" he added.
"Ima get to it" Alex said, pacing back and forth. John rolled his eyes.
"Stop pacing Alex. It's making me nervous seeing you nervous" Maria said from her seat.
"But I can't- it's the only thing keeping me sane or something" Alex responded.
"Well then, stop pacing in front of the tv." Alex sighed and started pacing by the door. There was a knock and Alex immediately opened it.
"Alex, were you waiting by the door?" Eliza asked.
"Sorta- come in." Alex held the door open for her and closed it. Maria muted the tv. John and Herc hid in the kitchen and eavesdropped.
"Elizabeth, I have to tell you something" Alex said, fiddling with his hands.
"Oh, okay."
"And you might wanna sit down for this." Eliza sat down on the couch. Maria stared at the tv.
"Hercules isn't the father, I am."

Eliza was silent.

"You're kidding, right?" She asked. Alex didn't answer.
"Alexander." Tears started to form in Eliza's eyes.
"I'm sorry but w-we've actually been...sleeping together since John and I were together and it never stopped when we were dating and it led to this" Alex explained. John walked into the room quietly and leaned against the wall. Herc peeked out of the kitchen cautiously. Eliza stood up, tears running down her cheeks, and slapped Alexander. His cheek was now a bright red.
"I'm fucking done with you!" She started to make her way to the door when John stopped her.
"Eliza I'm sorr-"
"I don't need your damn pity either John" she snapped at him. She left and slammed the door behind her. Not too long after Peggy came in.
"Hey guys, I got donuts! What'd I miss?"