chapter 20- Broken walls

Scarecrow’s POV

The thick black vapour still surrounded the west side of Gotham, as the shard like rain poured down. Gun fire and screams rang throughout the city; I saw that the centre of this part of Gotham was the Wayne industries, a perfect place to let the fears of other people out. The whole building was glass and metal beams, I smiled madly as I made my way up to the entrance to the Wayne building, I brought up my scythe sideways and thrust it through the glass door, I stepped through the shattered glass. Soon the guards of Wayne industries began to run down the white stair case which lined the side of the building, each one of these men where armed. I placed two vials of the fear toxin on the floor just above my right foot; it would give me the perfect cover and the perfect dosage of fear. Soon the guards had formed a semi-circle around me, and every gun was pointed at me.

“Drop the scythe Scarecrow and then raise your hands above your head.” I nodded to the heavily armed guards and dropped my scythe, and as I raised my arms behind my head the men lowered their guns, and with this I swiftly slammed my foot down on the vials of fear toxin. Soon the black vapour enveloped me and soon the screams began to ring in my ears, I chuckled insanely as I grabbed one of the burly men and began to play with his fears, “do you feel pain? Do you feel fear?” the man nodded franticly as tears began to run down his face, “well I am fear!” I screamed, which caused the man to cower to my feet. I laughed again; I grabbed my cold scythe from the floor and began to ascend the stair case.

On each floor I smashed a vial of fear toxin, causing more and more screams to echo throughout the building. I finally I had reached the roof top door, as I pushed open the rusted door I heard a scream that rushed through the air. There was batman holding Ashleigh, the anger I felt was inhuman, it was animalistic rage, I wanted to protect Ashleigh no matter what. “Let her go!” I growled menacingly, the Batman turned his head towards me, “what do you want with her Scarecrow?” I began to sprint towards the Batman and Ashleigh, the batman laid Ashleigh down on the floor and stood up, I used the butt of my scythe to dig it into the gravelled roof, this gave me leverage. I tore through the cold air towards the Batman; my booted feet kicked his masked face. While he tried to keep his identity hidden, I took this opportunity to use the handle of my scythe to hit the back of his knees, this caused him to kneel in the gravel, and again I used the handle of my scythe to hit him over the back of his head. This caused his to fall forwards coughing up blood, the Batman slowly began to push himself up from the gravel, I applied my booted foot to his back and pushed his back down into the gravel.

I looked over to Ashleigh and quickly slipped my scythe into its holder, and gathered Ashleigh into my arms. She looked so peaceful, I laid a small kiss on her forehead and began to descend the stairs covered in black vapour and surrounded by screams. I couldn’t stop staring at her pale tranquil face, and her shapely lips, which were a rosy red. I Sighed and jumped from the second to bottom floor staircase, and walked once again through the scattered. I walked through the terrorised streets of west Gotham holding the girl who was quickly breaking any emotional walls that I had made, but in some ways I was happy about this because Ashleigh would be the only woman I could ever love.

I stirred in my arms, as she stayed unconscious. Everything seemed to rush past me as I walked through the streets of the west side Gotham. I was broken now, as my wall crumbled as I held her in my arms, I hurt her and I could have nearly lost her. I heard gun fire behind us, it was the police. I looked behind me; the fear of losing Ashleigh was now eminent, I ran faster then I ever have in my life, fearing for Ashleigh. I pushed past people who were screaming and cowering in the streets, I jumped onto the roofs of cars to try and avoid the pushing of the terrified public as I tried to save Ashleigh from all this, suddenly I felt it. A bullet entered my side at a high calibre. I looked down at Ashleigh, I heard even more shots being fired, so I ran fast, and again another bullet hit the back of my left calf. My knee slammed into the roof of a car, I needed to keep moving, I tried to move again but I was losing blood to fast. Suddenly I loud screeching noise ran out, I looked through the black vapour and saw an armoured truck pushing through the cars in front of it, and as it got closer I was the large red smile painted across it, and Harley and joker both pocked the heads out of the car windows, “well get in we don’t have all day.” The joker screamed through a mega phone I chuckled in disbelief as the truck came beside me, Harley pulled open the door so I could leap in with Ashleigh. “Well we found Ashleigh.” Harley chuckled; I smiled and pulled off my hessian mask. “You cut that a bit damn close.” I looked down at a curled up Ashleigh on my lap and pulled her closer. I hate being shot at, but due to the fact that I have the irrational feeling of love for Ashleigh, it seems I’ll endure a lot for her.

 I sighed as we made our way back to the hideout, as more and more police cars joined in the pursuit Harley began to upgrade artillery, first it was a tommy machine gun, and now it was a custom made bazooka, red and black of course just for Harley. I chuckled at this and whipped a small bit of blood from the corner of my mouth. Joker looked at me from the rear view mirror, and shouted over the chaos, “god Scarecrow you look like crap.” I chuckled, and pushed a bit of stray hair away from Ashleigh’s face, “Joker I’ve been shot three time what do you expect me to look like?” he just shrugged, “how did you find us joker?” he veered a sharp right, “you were on the news, first on top of the Wayne building then on the street getting shot by police. You’re not that hard to find Scarecrow.” I nodded, as we swerved round another corner, and with this Harley fired her bazooka, he giggled idiotically as a large explosion rang out I shook my head.

Soon we mere reaching our destination and the police were no longer on our tail. I looked out of the back truck window to see everyone was gathered outside of the hideout. I growled as I sat up straight, the bullet wounds were now even more painful than the initial shot. I growled even louder and I stood up and made my way out of the truck. I was covered in my dark red blood and so was Ashleigh. The four of us made it to the door of the hideout, my legs began to shake and so did the rest of me. I grunted as I made my way upstairs, everyone was either asking question of what happened and asking me how it happened, but I needed to get up to my room before I collapsed. I grunted again and I used my left foot to kick open the door and his caused me to grunt loudly as a sharp pain ran through my leg, I ran to the bed quickly and laid both myself and Ashleigh on it. Soon my eyes were closing as Ashleigh opened; at least I got to see her face before I went under.