Chapter 7

A/N: There are hinted topics present in this chapter that may not be appropriate to some. Please be wary and skip over if you can't handle it. It is only hinted at but never mentioned for more than a few sentences.

The entire time they marched on, not saying a single word or even trying to make a conversation. None of it bothered her; it was nice to take a small stroll to her testing area. The trees reached high above her, branches reaching out for sunlight. All fighting to be the best, just like her. Every cat was like a tree; most trees grew high and stood out from the rest. She thought it was great, knowing she'd be able to grow higher.

     Others, like the Imperfects, stayed low to the ground. The sun mocked them and hardly showered them with any rays. Seeing the poor condition of those trees made her snicker. Citrus felt proud marching with perfect cats rather than those kinds of cats. Standing by Imperfects, she would've fainted or thrown herself off a cliff already.

     The only thing that bothered her was the patrol never stopped in a certain area. Citrus knew she couldn't ask a question when she was the one being tested, but the longer they marched, the more her curiosity burned at the pits of her stomach. This was a time that she could use to think over her training, using every single second to review her skills. For some reason, her mind was on anything but that.

     The Imperfects... they said something about having a tribe of their own. What was it? Citrus couldn't remember. If what they say is true, does that mean they're more Imperfects out there? She shuddered at the inevitable thought. There had to be an equal balance of perfect and Imperfect cats in the world. Perhaps she'd be able to go out with the Tribe of Shining Suns and slaughter some of the lowly cats herself. That was a hope, at least. Free them by giving them a swift death to the Tribe of Never-Ending Shadows.

     Citrus forced her fur down as the five cats crept back into her memory. All this worrying was going to cause her to fail and she needed to pass. She had to be perfect.

     "Okay, it's time to hunt," Blaze announced. Once he stopped, Citrus copied everyone else. She placed her paws directly in front of her and raised her head high, awaiting her brother's instructions. "I want to see every cat catch a piece of prey." He didn't share any extra care or sympathy for her, acting just like a guardian.

     One mistake and then I fail. I'm not going to the Tribe of Never-Ending Shadows, she confirmed, already opening her senses to any direction. If she could get a head start and come back first with a mouse or rabbit dangling in her jaws, that'd surely score her a few extra points.

     "Maple, take the upper path. Cloud, search the far right corner. Dusk, take the lower path. I'll patrol around here and Citrus." Blaze locked his strong gaze onto her own. Citrus reflected his tone with her confident and brace face, puffing her chest out. For a fleeting moment, she noticed a hint of warmth flooding in his amber eyes.

     All of my training is going to have to pay off today. Not tomorrow, not in the next moon, now. Give me any section and I'll master it. Citrus nodded, smirking to herself. Blaze smiled, seeming to sense her determination. I won't fail!

     "You'll get the left side," Blaze said.

     The words came as a blow, knocking the air out of her. It took all of her strength not to show her shock or bewilderment. The only thing she couldn't control was her eyes that crumbled and fell like a tree.

     He wants me to hunt on the left side? Is this a joke? No, Blaze would just wants to test me. Well, I'm not the same tiny kit anymore. I'll accept it. "Fine by me," Citrus replied, keeping her voice firm as the guardians and Maple glanced at each other, worried. "I'll hunt everything I can sink my claws into."