Chapter 28

"I'll go wherever Wasp goes," Summit responded, eyes smiling. "And I'm always up for a new adventure and a new friend. I'd love to be on your team." Hurricane smiled to herself and nodded at the golden tom, confirming her little team. 

     I'm surprised those two weren't on a team before I came, she thought as the two padded away, carrying a medium-sized bird in their jaws. Either way, maybe I can feel a little bit more welcomed with a team. Summit looks nice. 

     "I guess we'll give you a lesson about our ways here," Tsunami butted in the moment they disappeared. "Normally, like what Firestorm said when he wants a patrol done, he'll just say, 'Team Tsunami', go hunt." 

     "Sounds better than just organizing patrols," she commented, receiving an annoyed sigh from Lightning. "But we had betas in charge of all of the patrols."

     "Betas," Tsunami repeated, letting the word settle on her tongue. "That another perfect term?"

     "I guess," Hurricane shrugged. "A beta is in charge of sorting out the patrols and helps them out. It's recommended that you were at least each rank twice before you attempt the Beta's Tryout."

     "Sounds like Viper," Tsunami added, engaging in a conversation. A sense of relief swept through Hurricane, glad they weren't at each other's throats when they discussed their differences. "Viper and the others help aid Father out in battle and sometimes go out on patrols."

     "Isn't Viper a jerk?" Hurricane asked blankly.

     "He is," Lightning said, flattening his ears against his skull. "We can have a small say in things, but it's mainly between Father and his three retainers."

     "Retainers? Are those the cats in Python's team?"

     "Yeah, like that." Tsunami bunched up her muscles and launched herself on a tree. Hurricane saw that her form was slightly off and when she landed on the tree, her back legs hung loosely behind her. With a grunt, the calico heaved herself up onto the tree and her back legs finally hooked on.

     Hurricane saw Lightning follow behind and they began to climb the tree. The striped cat gave them a few seconds before leaping onto the tree. All of her instincts of climbing came back to her in that leap. Almost as if that leap sprung them back to her mind. Hurricane collided with the tree and easily climbed up to Tsunami's branch.

     Lightning seemed to be struggling up the trunk. Hurricane frowned, closely examining the tom as she continued to make her way up. After a few more moments, he finally got up to her and she quickened her pace, heading for his sister. He snarled and climbed up clumsily, trying to avoid eye contact. 

     Laughing, she climbed around the trunk, until she was beside him, her paws clinging to the trunk tightly. "Don't be so tense, you won't be able to move," she suggested, nodding towards his paws. "If you relax a bit, you'll find it easier to move. Just don't---"

     Lightning relaxed too much and fell off of the tree. The tom crashed on his rear on the ground. Hurricane laughed, while Tsunami looked over her shoulder at the commotion, a spark igniting in her eyes just as she wrapped herself around her branch, making sure she stayed on.

     "Fall," she finished her sentence.

     "Hurricane, I don't need help!" Lightning sputtered, shaking out his fur. Up above, she laughed and turned, heading for the calico. Tsunami rolled her eyes and got off, adjusting herself to jump into a nearby tree for a better view. Hurricane glanced over and then at the Imperfect's form, judging it.