Chapter 14

"What do you mean? You're... leaving?" The golden she-cat rasped as thunder boomed, lighting up her horrified face. Her best friend stood there, refusing to meet her eyes with a sad smile directed toward the ground. "No... you can't! If this is some kind of joke, it's not funny!"

     Again, the brown she-cat shook her head. All that she said was through her dull, beautiful, hazel eyes. "It's true... I'm leaving you here," she finally answered. "Don't worry, you'll be fine on your own."

     "No! You're my best friend! Do you know what that means?" She snapped, trying to deny the fact. Spread a rumor, tell a lie - anything to keep her best friend with her and alive. "Best friends never leave each other! That means you... you don't leave me, Cinder!"

     Cinder shook her head at her friend's stubbornness. The golden she-cat jerked her head up, desperate to get a glimpse of hazel eyes staring at her. Memories of the two flashed before her eyes, reliving the hardships, terror, and sacrifices they did together. The ground beneath their feet split, and the two friends stood on opposite ends as the rain poured down, threatening to flood.

     "Come on, please, do you know what I am now?" Cinder begged, nuzzling the golden she-cat. "I can't go back, you know that---"

     "No!" wailed the cat, legs buckling. Cinder fell with her, still there to comfort her sobbing friend, brushing her tail against her shoulder to stop her crying. She felt a river flow from her face, but she couldn't tell whether it was her own tears or the rain above.

     'I've failed. I've proven myself to be Imperfect. Is that a good thing or is it something I should be ashamed of?' None of it mattered now and before Cinder could change her mind, she had to leave. Leave everything behind her like it was just some worthless object. Her home. Her friends. Her family.

     Origanum.

     Origanum sobbed into her shoulder like a kit. Cinder curled her tail around hers as any mother would do for her kit. The two friends embraced each other, accepting the other's help and support. But the longer they stayed in their embrace against the cold and pounding rain, the more the distance between them grew. 

     Gritting her teeth, Cinder blinked away the rain in her eyes. "Origanum?" she whispered.

     She took a while to respond, hardly moving. Still keeping her face buried in her pelt, she choked. "Y-yes?" 

     "Do you know what I am now?" She asked again, facing in the other direction. Her nest now, one she made herself and all that was left was to lay in it as she slept. It was her sin and grave, a hammer driving a painful nail into the back of her head. 

     And she'd walk into it like any ordinary patrol.

     "An I-Imperfect..." Origanum answered.

     "And you know what that means now?" Cinder pressed, pulling away. Origanum's crystal, blue eyes were wet from tears, showing little delight when the two locked eyes. "Don't give me that look, Origanum. Let me see that smile of yours---"

     Origanum shook her head furiously. "No! I won't kill my best friend!"

     "You have to, Origanum," Cinder pressed. "Don't be sad. It's just another kill. We've killed so many other cats - Imperfect cats. I shouldn't be any differe---"

     "No!" Origanum yowled. Thunder struck around them as the rain pelted down harder. Each rain that hit the ground only caused more pain and grief to strike the hapless she-cat. Her world was shattering before her eyes with the only cat she considered family standing before her, begging her to let her go. "You're my best friend, I'm not killing you! You've been my only family since I was little!"