Doggy Bath

I intended this to be shorter but it just kept going and going and going....

The weather was beautiful, the exact temperature one would imagine if told to think of a perfect summer day. The sun was out, fluffy white clouds drifted through the sky, and a light breeze was blowing to keep you from getting too warm. The niceness of the day and the fact that Sumo was getting dirtywhat with all the dirt he got in his fur whenever you two went outside to playconvinced you it was time to give him a bath. After dressing into a swimsuit you headed out.

You brought the kiddie pool out of the garage, and after inflating it you brought over a hose to fill it. You let the water run as you left to get the shampoo and conditioner, along with a shammy (washcloth specifically for washing dogs), and brought it all outside. Setting the supplies down, you put your hands on your hips and watched the water fill the inflatable pool. Now all that was missing was your Saint Bernard.

"Sumo!" You called. But no large dog bounded out of the house. You squinted, a little puzzled why he didn't come at your call. He didn't hate baths, sure he didn't like them but he knew he couldn't get out of them so he usually accepted his fate. Trekking into the house you found your dad asleep on the couch with a beer in his hand and the TV on. Surprisingly, Sumo wasn't settled next to him like you thought he'd be. Brows drawing closer at your confusion, you plucked Hank's beer from his hand and set it on the coffee table so he wouldn't drop it and make a mess then continued your search for your dog.

"Sumo?" You tried again, checking the spots he frequently occupied just to find him missing. You eyed the halfway that contained the bathroom, your room, and your dad's room but all the doors were closed. He couldn't be in any of those, right? Remembering the android friend of Hank's, Connor, was around you called his name.

You had found Connor to be an...OK android. What, you think Hank's the only one mad about your brother's death? Nah, you were distressed too, but you sometimes wondered late at night if it was inevitable. Even if the doctor hadn't been high and performed the procedure, would Cole still've lived? The fact was androids surpassed humans in multiple ways; by that logic Cole was in better hands, but there was no way he'd survive, even if the best human doctor in the world did everything they could.

That was what allowed you to move past Cole's death and accept Connor. And over time, well, you supposed it was bound to happen. He was meant to look human, sound human, practically be human, and seeing what one might call a 'perfect human' everyday was only bound to turn out one way. So yes, you'll admit it to yourself, you like him. And yes, you know he's an android and will never love you back. No matter how much you wished it would happen he was a machine, no deviant, and he let you and Hank know that.

Practically forgetting your mission delving so deep in your thoughts, you listened for Connor's reply. He might have an idea where Sumo might be, right? You thought you got no response at first, and you had to wonder if you falsely thought he was here when a muffled noise came from your dad's room. You hesitantly opened the door, not wanting to invade your dad's privacy but knowing you heard a noise you must investigate.

There, on the floor, was Sumo. His head rose when you entered and he let out a woof. "Hey, buddy." You smiled and kneeled down to pet him. "Hiding on me?" Another muffled noise came from Sumo and you stopped, examining him with confusion as the big dog's tongue lolled out of his mouth lazily. The you spotted a hand shaking to get your attention and you realized Sumo was on top of Connor.

"Sumo!" You cried. "Get off him!" He slowly got to his feet and lumbered off as you addressed Connor. He seemed to be trying to fill his lungs again after they'd been smooshed, but knowing he didn't have lungs nor could he breathe made this action seen unnecessary. Perhaps he was just erasing the awful moment from his memory? "Sorry 'bout him," you said, offering a hand to help him up. He took it and you pulled him to his feet.