The Cards You're Dealt

It's important to pay attention to the road as a driver, but with self-driving cars you really didn't see the need. Then again, even with the smart tech the car had, it didn't spot the androids fighting on the road until you hit one.

"Sh*t!" you yelled, slamming on the brakes. Your eyes were wide as you kicked open your door and hopped onto the road. A car whizzed past you as you crept towards the broken android.

It was splayed on the front of the car, blue blood coating the windshield and dripping from its frame. Its eyes were wide, the LED hanging from its head faintly flashing red. You used every vulgar word in the book as you ran a hand through your hair. What were you supposed to do? Someone's gonna want their android back and if they see your car totaled it they're gonna expect a replacement. You didn't have that kind of money!

You swore again and bit your lip. Maybe you could fix it? Yeah, yeah maybe you could do that. You had an idea of how androids functioned, if you got the right tools and some blueprints you'd make it as good as new. Nodding to yourself, you looked to the android. How were you going to get it in your car?

Cars beeped behind you, reminding you you were blocking a lane of traffic. You wrapped your arms around the torso and attempted to pick it up, nearly pulling yourself down to the car and hitting your head. You stared down at it, wondering what it had to be filled with to be this heavy. Trying again, you were able to hoist it up and put most of the weight on top of you. You struggled to the car, and once there fumbled with the handle. The person in the car behind you was squinting at you suspiciously. You forced a smile as you dropped the body on your backseat. You shut the door and turned to open your door when she hit her horn. You spun to face her and she pointed at the ground. Following her finger you saw a left arm on the road. You quickly picked it up, sent her a nervous smile, then got in your car and set it to autopilot.

As the car drove you turned to face the backseat. You would've thought your efforts would all be in vain if it wasn't for the barely still flickering LED dangling from its head. That's also when you spotted the place the arm in your hand was once located. You weren't sure if the android would ever be able to use it again, even if you reattached the limb. Taking a look at its blood stained jacket, you were able to make out a few bits of a serial number and the model: RK800. You'd never heard of it, but then again you didn't exactly keep up with the latest releases.

You tossed the arm on top of it and turned to face the front. Now to brainstorm supplies.

After a quick stop at the CyberLife store (and yes it was quick because you knew exactly how bad it would look to have a beaten up android in the back of your car) you headed home. Once the garage door was completely shut you opened the backseat door. You thought you saw the RK800 blink but that might've just been a trick of the light.

You hooked your arms under its pits and dragged it out. It left marks in the puddle of blue blood on the seat, which was already dripping onto the floor. You could reuse that stuff, right? Because you just realized you forgot to get some more at the store. You drug the android into your house with difficulty, nearly slipping when some blood got on your shoe. This must look so bad: I'm dragging a body and covered in blood. I'd have fun explaining that one to the cops.

You reached the basement and found a chair to set the RK800 on. You tried to set it upright but it kept wanting to lean too far to one side and fall off the chair. After a lengthy battle you finally got it to sit still. Exhaling in relief, you went back to your car to retrieve your tools. When you got back you stopped.

"Wasn't your head tilted the other way?" You pointed at it. It didn't respond. You shrugged, chalking it up to your mind playing tricks on you, and pulled up another chair for you to use. After setting the newly bought tools and sandwich bag of blue blood down beside you, you assessed the android. It'll need its thirium pump checked and the spot its pipes were broken will need to be repaired. You started there, ready for a long night of work.