Errors In Their Software

The folder appeared on Hank's desk that morning, much to his annoyance. He wasn't making progress in the deviancy case despite he and Connor's best efforts. The folder contained information on an android its owner claimed was turning deviant, though hadn't fully turned like the others the duo dealt with. Connor thought it was a good opportunity to learn what sparked going deviant while Hank just looked at it like another lead that would bring them no closer to their goal.

The partners made their way to the man's house, Hank getting his badge out to show the man as Connor rung the doorbell. They waited a moment before an android opened the door. Her (H/C) hair was pinned back to keep it out of the way, she wore a maid outfit like all other housekeeping androids with SK600 embroidered on it, her (E/C) eyes flickered between them what Connor picked up as nervously, and her mouth was shaped into a fake smile as she waved them inside. She hobbled hurriedly into the kitchen and clicked her nail against a glass, the sound ringing through the house.

"Is it the detectives?" A gruff voice from upstairs shouted down the stairs. The SK600 clicked the glass twice. "I'm coming." She put her hands behind her back and stood up straight, but a quick scan of the android told Connor she was trembling in fear. That was a human emotion so there was no doubt she was deviant, but what confused him was why she was shaking.

The man stepped onto the main floor and greeted the Lieutenant with a handshake and a smile. Connor eyed the man but couldn't find a reason to hate him. He had no criminal record, worked a steady job, and was engaged based off the ring on his finger. John MaCready was a normal human.

"This is the faulty android?" Hank asked, pointing to the SK600. John nodded. "Can we ask it some questions?"

"You could but you wouldn't get much of an answer. Dumb thing tripped and wrecked its voice box." Connor saw something flash across the face of the android but when he turned it was gone.

"Do you have a pen and paper it could use?" Hank asked.

"Yeah sure, give me a second." John disappeared to retrieve the items but didn't halt the conversation. "You got an android too?"

Hank glanced at Connor before scoffing. "Yeah."

"You have an android investigating androids? That's weird." John returned with a pad of paper and pen and handed them to his android. He leaned in to whisper something to her and she winced, nodding. "Feel free to ask it whatever." John retreated to a corner and Hank gestured to the table.

"Let's sit." The SK600 did it without question and sat across from the Lieutenant with a blank expression. "What's your name?" Her eyes met his with surprise but she promptly lowered her eyes to the paper and wrote her answer.

'(Y/N)'

"Alright (Y/N), tell me what happened to your voice box." Her eyes darted to John but ducked when she saw Connor noticed.

'I tripped on my way down the stairs'

"That's a lie," Connor spoke up. (Y/N)'s panicked gaze met his just as John stepped forward.

"She's not telling the whole truth, she was carrying a basket of laundry too." John smiled like that undid the lie the android wrote, but Connor noticed the perspiration forming on John's forehead. He didn't say anything about it, however, just nodded at Hank to continue.

"When did you start gaining free will?" Hank faced the SK600. She wrote a few words but paused, watching for something in her peripheral vision before continuing. Connor realized then that John was feeding her answers, making this whole interrogation pointless.

'I was making soup and decided to put an ingredient John's allergic to in it.'

"Lieutenant," Connor whispered.