Accidental Time Traveler (Pt. 2)

Fun Fact: I wrote this whilst wearing my RK800 jacket (it's actually a hoodie but shush). If you're curious, below is a picture of it.

Living in a time and place that doesn't belong to your world is weird

Living in a time and place that doesn't belong to your world is weird. With no other place to stay you were forced to live with Hank and Connor (and Sumo), and despite the advanced technology, the couch was below par. You spent most of the time staring into the darkness thinking. Your mind couldn't shut off most nights, and you spent a majority of the lonely hours reading magazines and newspapers on what looked like an iPad.

Other times Connor would keep you company and help you grow accustomed to your life for now. Every time he somehow managed to give you hope one day you'd go home and sometimes it felt like the only reason you kept trying.

You got to work on the time machine, but the difference between this world and your own made finding the correct parts difficult. The drills you had in your toolkit didn't fit the screws this place had and the nails you brought bent every time you took a hammer to them. And that's not even mentioning the fact that you couldn't remember exactly how it was built; it was depressing just thinking about it.

Hank still seemed bewildered by the idea of a time machine and watched you work with a layer of skepticism. You figured he'd be the first to rub it in your face if you failed. Connor, on the other hand, was ready and willing to help you 24/7. If you ever got frustrated he was there to calm you down, if you needed a part he was already out the door, and every meal time he came in with food.

You were set up in the garage (Hank was kind enough to park his car outside), and while it was freezing, Connor had set up some heaters and let you borrow his jacket until he bought you something warmer. Most of the time you were too focused to realize your toes went numb long ago.

You rolled a foot away from the machine on the little rolly stool your butt stayed permanently glued to 90% of the time and looked the masterpiece up and down. It really wasn't anything like a masterpiece, resembling a trash can more than anything. You sighed and pushed your hair out of your face. No time for negativity. You rolled closer and started a circle around it, looking for anything that didn't seem right.

You bumped into something and looked up. Connor was looking down at you, brows creased and a small frown on his lips.

"Hey," you said.

"You've been awake over 24 hours," he said. You squinted.

"I have?"

"I suggest taking a short break to get some sleep."

"I'm fine," you brushed him off, turning back to the machine. You wondered if this is what Miller felt like whenever he spent the time he should've been sleeping playing Detroit: Become Human. The thought of your partner made your mood drop.

"That's not good for your health." He noticed your souring expression and tilted his head. "What's bothering you?"

"I was just...thinking about Miller. Don't worry about it." You attempted to make yourself busy by grabbing a random tool out of your toolkit but Connor stepped in between you and the machine.