Rivals

For every company there's always a rival. Apple and Samsung, for example, or Target and Walmart. CyberLife was no exception. Peach & Coco [in honor of my two hedgehogs] was a company that realized the potential of artificial life forms, and going off of CyberLife androids, they created their own AI. The androids were similar to CyberLife's in many ways, but instead of an LED on the side of their head they had eyes that changed color depending on what the android was experiencing, and more advanced computers to help with tasks in the workforce. Unlike CyberLife androids, Peach & Coco androids were clearly machines; their hands were a steel gray, showing off their metal exoskeleton, and the back of their necks produced a blue light when they were powered on.

So far the company had only produced androids meant to provide assistance to working individuals, whether that be doctors or construction workers. You were one of the very best, all the known detective expertise and police training downloaded onto your mainframe. You were the perfect cop.

You stood straight with your hands behind your back beside your partner, a human female named Sherry Longwood. She was typing away on her monitor, not paying you any mind as you scanned the precinct. Your irises spun as you scanned objects, the neon yellow-green color sticking out so it made it more apparent.

Your gaze landed on an android sitting across from an older man, who you discovered was Lt. Hank Anderson after a quick scan. The android was made by CyberLife, which instantly caused you to distaste him. All Peach & Coco androids were programmed to hate CyberLife ones.

He must've felt your scanners on him as he looked up. You unknowingly made a face as he stood up, saying something quick to the Lieutenant before walking over to you. You stood straighter and looked down your nose at him, a scowl curling your lips as you spotted the friendly smile on his face.

"Hello." You made a noise similar to a grunt. You were programmed not to give them the time of day either. "My name is Connor, I'm the android sent by CyberLife to help aid the investigation into deviant androids. Who are you?"

"I am android #8477, and I also came to aid the investigation into CyberLife's faulty androids," you said snarkily. "It's a mystery why they sent one of their own androids to solve the case. You could deviate at any time, unlike me. We have had no reported cases of deviation." He didn't seem to mind your obvious jab at his makers.

"I can assure you I will not deviate. I am their latest and best model."

"What are you doing here, prick?" Sherry spoke up, joining you in glaring at Connor.

"Good afternoon Inspector Longwood. I came to say hello to your partner since I have not seen her here before." He turned back to you. "I'm sorry, I never caught your name."

"I don't have need of one." Truthfully, you'd never been named. If the recipients choose to they can give the android a name, or they can leave them nameless (essentially making them their number).

"You were never given one?" His eyebrows furrowed, as if he thought that was unethical.

"She does too. Her name is..." Sherry gave you a long look. "(Y/N). Yeah, (Y/N)." You were (Y/N). Such a strange feeling, receiving a name. Names were only given to things humans cared about, and Sherry never showed she cared about you. Perhaps she only named you so getting your attention would be easier.

"It's nice to meet you, (Y/N)," Connor said, genuinely sounding like he meant it. CyberLife did a good job making them seem human. Lieutenant Anderson walked up behind Connor, mumbled a quiet 'Let's go', then tried to leave when...

"Hank," Sherry said, dragging his name out with a sickly sweet tone. The man stopped short, his shoulders hunched like her voice triggered something inside him, and turned with an angry flare in his eyes. "It's been a long time since we've chatted. When was it last?" She made a show of recalling the memory. "That one time you f*cked up a case so bad every officer had to work overtime because of it? And before Fowler could talk to you, you ran off to go get p*ss-drunk?" Hank clenched his teeth and grabbed Connor's arm, yanking him towards the exit. "Where are you going?" Sherry called, getting to her feet and racing after them. "We've been assigned to the same case."