(Request) Runaway

Requested by: @QuiteAWeirdThing

Prompt: Hello, i absolutely love this book and your writing and was wondering if i could suggest two ideas?

[...]

And number two is that the reader is an Android and connor is human. The reader is an actor (i have this headcannon that there are actor androids because less and less people are wanting to act so they made andriods who are programmed to act.) So reader enjoys this job but realises that she isnt supposed to like anything or feel. She brushes this off as her acting program making her simulate emotion but her agent realises this and the two are kinda friends? Like they act like markus and carl (not quite awake but aware). Something happens and the reader is forced to run away and meets connor who takes her in.

Note: I actually had some inspiration for once and it lasted long enough for me to write this and another one!

--~~--~~--

When humans claimed androids stole their jobs they weren't entirely wrong. However, under the circumstances, it was hard to blame movie and TV show producers to enlist the aid of androids in production. They obeyed without question, could act better than many actors (though that was debatable considering the emotions they portrayed were fake), they could look any way the producers needed them to, and besides initial cost they weren't paid for starring in the film.

You were an actor, though the filmmakers used the term loosely. It was still up for debate whether programming an android to feel an emotion and display it the way a director wanted them to could be called acting. You starred in many movies, from romance to thriller, many of which you were the lead character if a human didn't take the role. One director remarked you seemed more alive than the other androids, and if the audience felt that they'd be more immersed in the story.

Your agentーif you could even call her thatーbecame almost a friend to you. She might not be the most useful in finding you contracts as most of your films were the same company's (they technically owned you), but she was the most fun human you'd ever encountered. You felt you could trust her with anything, not that you had secrets to keep. She treated you just like another person.

At the moment you were in the break room with her as she recalled some wild tale. You suspected most of it was made up or highly exaggerated but listened silently for a solid half hour as she rattled on. After she finally wrapped it up and collapsed back into her chairーshe had stood up and threw her hands around to show you what she was babbling aboutーyou smiled, the fake emotion of happiness for her forcing the action.

Your smile faded. But was it actually fake? Recently you'd been getting unwarranted emotions: concern when your agent nearly tripped and hit her head on a low-hanging beam, disgust when the director wanted you to shove your hand into a fake-intestine-filled body bag for a horror movie, and genuine joy at starting another film project. It felt too...real to be your programming, but what else could it be? It stumped your processors.

"Hey, whatcha thinking about?" Your agent waved her hand in your face.

"My next movie." I just lied? To a human?! Feeling the guilt weigh heavy, after a moment's hesitation you quickly blurted, "Actually, I'm getting these strange feelings."

You paused, and after her interested look didn't convince you to continue, she said "And?"

"They're like emotions...but more authentic..." You weren't sure if you were explaining in a way she'd understand, but her eyes widened.

"I think I know what's going on," she mumbled, completely serious for what had to be the first time in her life. "You're becoming aware."

"I'm what?" you asked.