Chapter 32-Reasons Unknown

I woke up laying in our bed. Everything seemed eery. The drapes were drawn close and the lights completely off. The faint sound of voices outside of the chambers could be heard. I sat up out of the bed and looked around. What happened?

I look down at myself and see that I am dressed in a long silk nightgown. I grab the thin robe and put it on. Alec wasn't in the room and I couldn't help but to feel uneasy about it. I look in the bathroom and closet to see if he might be there but everything was cleaned and organized-- quite out of the ordinary. What happened?

I open my bedroom door and flip a switch on. The living room was empty and I could tell the kitchen was too. Suddenly I remembered what happened. Alec and Uncle Colin were fighting for the crown. Things were going good for Alec and he turned to look at me to make sure I was alright. Then Uncle Colin jumped and snapped quickly and I passed out.

I squatted towards the floor then just decided to sit. Alec? Is he....? I couldn't feel Della but I'm praying to the moon goddess that she didn't take away my soulmate. After everything we've been through and what we've accomplished... Surely now that we're together again she wouldn't take him away from me.

I feel an ache in my heart and stray tears begin to pour down my face. Quickly I stand up though. This is not the end of us dammit. I will not become a shell at only twenty-two years old. I will marry my mate and raise beautiful children who will grow up happy and loved and I will have the life that I've pictured with him. He is mine and we have a future.

But what if he's dead?

I look through the three other bedrooms in our quarters and end up with the same result: nothing. I throw open the large door that separates our quarters from the rest of the castle. I see three people outside of our door who try to stop me from leaving the quarters but I fight them off, pushing to find my mate.

I rush down the stairs and check all the places he might be. I check the kitchen to see if maybe he was there having breakfast made for him. Nothing. I searched the dining hall. Nothing. I even go to the courtroom to see if maybe he would be there for some reason. Nothing.

I run to his office and throw the door open. He'll be here. This is where I'll find him. When I look inside though there's no one. It must be true. I walk to the chair and sit in it and soak up his scent. It was quite faint because I knew it had been a while since he'd been here. He had searched for me and found me only for our love story to end at the punishment of my capturer.

I don't spend long in the study. I just can't believe any of these thoughts rushing through my mind. I head to the infirmary hoping and praying that maybe he is still alive there. The infirmary is empty. Not even a nurse resides in the chilling room. My next stop is the library. I've never really seen him in the library but it doesn't hurt to look. The same result meets me.

Finally, I sit down in a chair staring at the moon in the night sky. This can't be it. We were suppose to be infinite. I hold my knees as silent tears roll down my face. My heart in my throat and waiting to be ripped out. My Alec.

The door opens to the library and I hear a soft pad make its way towards the chair beside me. I look to see Gia just staring out the window as well as she sits. We don't speak for a while. Gia holds my hand into hers and gently rubs circles around my hand.

"You're going to be okay, Soph. We're all going to be okay."

I lean my head on her shoulder as more tears come out. "This wasn't supposed to happen, G. How could this happen? Why would the moon goddess allow this?"