My Responsibility

Fp POV:
Two weeks of the whole family back together and we were already falling apart. Me and Gladys had gone back to our usual routine of fighting every five minutes and we weren't even together. In fact we are right in the middle of one.
"You know What Maybe it's best I stay at a hotel or something because your clearly not making an effort with us" she says making me cringe at the word us. Me and Alice had established we were us until we both fell back into our lives again. It was a fling I guess but I know I'll never forget it, or wish I still had it. Still had her.
"Look Gladice, whatever it is I'm supposed to feel I can't. And I'm sorry I would never hurt you on purpose" I explain. She hasn't exactly been an angel, she didn't take Jug in when I was in prison and she had walked out on us constantly without a second though, we are way to frayed to even think about starting over. Besides my heart was with someone else our whole relationship.
"Sure you wouldn't. Come on jells we are staying at a hotel until your father sorts himself out" she says once again grabbing my thirteen year old who I had been bonding with the past two weeks and leaving. It's as if she thinks I'm obliged to love her but it's not that easy.
I'm guessing she's not coming to the mayoral campaign with me then. Or at all she hated most of the people down in riverdale, I have to go to support Fred more than anyone. He hadn't won mayor but for some reason he wanted to be a good guy and go support Hermione in her win. So I guess I'm going too, as if Hermione hadn't already had a celebration party : she had she probably just wanted to rub it in some more and tell us all about their plans for the southside.
The last one of these, Alice got arrested and I make note to myself that I must look out for her tonight. Even if we weren't talking, I'm not letting her get into trouble, besides we were civil right? We said goodbye and for us that was civil.

Alice POV:
I can't believe I'm going to one of these things again. After what happened last time...but Alice Smith is not one to hide in embarrassment when I do something, I own it. Today was no exception I'm just going to have to suck it up.

I walk into the fancy house Hermione and Hiram had rented out for this thing, same as the open house party.
I wear a long white dress this time, it is plain and clings to me like a second skin but it's not too northside. Possible my favourite part of the dress, the plunge in the middle that goes down as my red snakeskin one did. It felt like something I actually want to wear.
I scan the room for a bar because I need a drink to get through this but my eyes find a man in a suit. More specifically Fp in a suit. I break the eye contact because we had already established where we stood to each other now. Why the he'll is he here though, northside parties aren't exactly his thing. It's none of my business though we are merely old acquaintances, somebody I used to know.
I sigh and my eyes finally find some sort of alcohol in the form of a waiter walking by me with some wine. I would much rather a shot of tequila because it's gets me drunk quicker but if I look more fancy with some wine in my hand then so be it.
"Well if it isn't Alice smith" a friendly voice says from behind me.
"Fred, let me guess came her to support Hermione on her win?" I ask, he had always been a nice guy. Too nice, too forgiving.
"there's no harm in congratulating someone, besides she said I held a great campaign the night she won so she obviously held out the olive branch" he replies.
"Hm that's weird coming from Hermione" I say raising my eyebrow at him.
"Don't look behind you but Fp's eyes haven't left you" he whispers.
"Oh that's over Fred" I inform him but his face doesn't change.
"You've said that everytime, this time I'm calling bullshit" he chuckles and I roll my eyes. He's wrong, this time it is over. His wife is back for Christ sake...come to think of it, where is Gladys? I can't lie and say I'm not a little happy she's not here but it doesn't concern me anymore anyway but I let a smile grace my face as Fred walks past me.
It's short lived because I turn around from a tap on my shoulder to see Penelope.
"Uhh what do you want? Didn't you take the hint from last time?" I say crossing my arms.
"I don't want any drama, I'm just saying your southside scum is over there" she says nodding her head over to Fp with a look someone would give the gum on the bottom of their shoe. The first part was a complete lie, all she wants is drama.
"He has nothing to do with me anymore" I say feeling empty from the realisation that what I was saying was the harsh reality.
"He will always have something to do with you" she reminds me as if it's a bad thing.
"Good, he is a great man and I wish him well" I reply trying to be the bigger person.
"A great man" she mocks sarcastically. She can't be serious.
"Got a problem with anything i said Penelope"
I ask giving her a chance to take her comment back.
"A great man does not cover up a teenage boys body" she comments.
"I think you are missing the real issue here and you obviously haven't put it through the three brain cells you have left so let me explain it further. Your husband killed your son, Okay? Not him, he only covered it up to protect his own son who was once again threatened by your husband" I remind her stepping closer and closer to her in anticipation for her to set me off but I feel someone pull me away.
"Listen Tom I swear it's not me it's her" I say letting myself be pulls back but after feeling how the arms hold me i know it's not tom.
"Alice, leave it" he whispers into my ear giving me goosebumps.
"There's nothing to leave" I reply straightening out my dress but his grip didn't leave me.
"I know you and if I let you go you are going to start a fight" he says over my shoulder.
"Then don't" I say and it's all he needs to pull me outside again to calm down.
"You ready to go back in there?" He asks after while.
"Not really" I reply honestly. I wasn't sure if it was him or Penelope or this whole event in general but I can't just stay here.
"I'm going to go" I announce before leaving his grip missing it instantly on me.
"Like always" he breathes probably not meaning it to be loud enough for me to hear but I do.
"What was that?" I say accusingly turning around slowly to face him.
"Like always, you always leave. Never talk things through maybe if you did things would have been different" he says and i know he's right. If I talked to him all those years ago our son would still be alive, I wouldn't have married the black hood and we would still be together. But I didn't and I don't plan to start. What I won't tolerate is his comments about me after I just defended him.
"go back inside Fp" I warn giving him a way out of this argument.
"No I like the view out here" he says his eyes not leaving me.
I scoff at him, he is incredibly smooth but I can't fall into his charms again.
"I bet you like it at home better" I say referring to his wife.
"She's staying at a hotel actually" he states.
"What difference does it make?" I say but in reality if I knew they weren't together two weeks ago at pops, maybe i wouldn't have ended it.
"Maybe you right but all I know is I'm here with you, not her" he reminds me.
"Look I don't want to fight with you right now so thanks for stopping me but you can go inside I'm not you responsibility" I say gesturing him to walk away.
"You are my responsibility, if not me who else is going to look after you" he says and I roll my eyes.
"I am a grown woman, I do not need looking after" I snap straightening out my dress with my hands.
"Is that why you almost had a cat fight with Penelope Blossom?" He asks sarcastically. He's right of course but he can't know that.
"I'm perfectly capable of handling myself" I lie.

Fp POV:
She's so stubborn it's cute. The woman who almost got into another high school fights is saying she's capable of handling herself. I scoff at her without thinking and she gives me a look that could kill.
I wish she would just let me take care of her, it's been torture to see her around and not say anything. For her to order at pops and not give me a second glance, to act like nothing happened.
"You are capable of a lot of things Alice Susanna Smith but controlling yourself is not one of them" I reply firmly and to my surprise me doesn't object.
"Fine" she says surprisingly hooking her arm around mine for me to lead her back into the party. She looses her nerve a little letting go of my arm when we walk in because people are staring at us, more specifically her. She looks amazing so I don't blame them.