Strange Confessions

The cold winter wind blew in a gentle breeze, nipping the skin like a sleak black knife as we walked down the dark alley. The faint clicks of military boots, the clanks of metal with metal,the silent whispers of the living, all faded under the serene tranquility that preceded over New York City, as everything was swept by the cold loving arms of Night.

There was a small moon, its light barely litting the face of the earth. Dark clouds surrounded it like a pack of wolves around its prey. People refrained from taking to the streets and confined themselves to their homes in fear of defying the curfew imposed upon them.

After Stephen dropped his bombshell, we persuaded him to tell us the entire story. Unable to do so, he offered to show us. Musturing his sorcery skills, he conjured a secret portal to Earth. Just as we were leaving, Glen, Christine,and Christopher found us in the hallway, so we brought then along with us.

Since I was still in a hospital gown, and Tania in her Rebel uniform, Stephen used his magic to transform our attire. As we walked silently, o found myself wearing a black shirt and jeans, and a grey jacket. Tania wore a light purple top and a jade-coloured jacket,while Stephen himself was dressed in a white silk shirt and trousers. Since the others were off-duty,they were in civilian clothes, so they just got a hoodie each.

It's good to be back home. I thought, though I wished it was under better circumstances.

I hugged my jacket closer to my body, shivering slightly. It hasn't been this cold in New York in years.

"Where are we headed, Stephen?" I asked him.
"You'll see."he replied in a monotonous voice.

We were in a rough part of the town. Some houses were in shambles, some on the verge of breaking down. The road was broken, puddles of water gathering between the cracks. The lamp-posts shining dimly, if not at all.

Stephen pointed at the far end of the alley. We made out the faint outline of a metal gate in the darkness. The fences were covered with vines and creepers. A sign hung loosely over the iron gate.

"Good thing I brought a light." Glen mumbled as he took out a small torch from his pocket and flicked it on. The narrow beam of light cut across the shadows straight onto the sign. It read as follows,

"GEORGESWORTH NEW YORK CEMETERY,
                      ESTD:1976
                   STILL IN USE."

Cemetry? "Stephen, what are we doing in a cemetery?" I asked him, bewildered. He didn't answer, but tapped sharply on the gate twice.
"Hey man I don't know what's your problem, dragging us to NYC in this state." Glen grumbled, clearly irritated." But whatever the hell it is,you better start talkin-"

"Open the gate."

Stephen's words weren't directed at us, but to a tall well-built man who had suddenly appeared from the shadows. Looking at us, he silently opened the gate and motioned us to enter. His breath reeked of alcohol and cigars.

"We'll be here for a while, James." Strange told him, to which he replied with a grunt.

We walked past the tombstones, the graves-  sombre reminders of people long gone. Life is short, so transient. One snap and it can be taken away from you. It's like a fleeting glimpse one catches while one is traveling by train- you get one quick peek, and it's gone the next second, replaced by another. Such is Time, the merciless reaper who waits for no one. It has seen numerous uprisings and downfalls. Nothing is permanent. Thanos's reign, now at its zenith, will one day be over. His statues, which he has erected to preserve his memory and name, will one day stand broken and destroyed. All this, everything around us will disappear into a whirpool of memories, with us being just momentary specks in an indifferent multiverse. Time, with his agents of destruction, doesn't let anything remain permanent, sweeping everything in his way.