Betrayal

Max's POV

"So Thanos is back?" Thor asked, sipping on a pint of beer.

"It would appear so, indeed." Soumyadeep answered, an amused smile on his face as he watched the God of Thunder gulping down the beer in seconds.

"It seems your magic wasn't powerful enough to sustain him in the Quantum Realm, wizard."he addressed Stephen, who replied hotly with a "I'd like to see you do better."

"The last time we fought Thanos, he only had one goal - to bring balance to the universe, by destroying half of it." Thor told us, placing down the cup on a side table."He searched for the Infinity Stones because using all 6 of them together would accomplish his mission - mass genocide. And he called it, mercy.

You told me that he wields all 6 stones now, but hasn't used them yet. I'm afraid I don't hold the answer to that question. However it is indeed necessary that he be stopped, or no being in this universe is safe." He stood up." Tell me, how can I help?"

"We have an army." I said." Ships. Weapons. Soldiers. Leaders. But we still need someone to give us the upper hand. The Black Order themselves can destroy our entire fleet."

"Aye, very well. It has been ages since I've fought. Might as well do it again." He turned to Soumyadeep."I need my axe."

Soumyadeep looked thoughtful." Well, I sent it back to where it came from, so you have to get it back, I'm afraid. I can offer you a ship, but I don't have enough men to spare."

"I'll go." A quiet voice spoke up from behind. We turned to see Christine looking down at the floor." I'll go with Thor to get his axe. If the legends are true, it is the strongest weapon in the entire universe. Even the power of the completed Infinity Gauntlet pales in comparison."

"She's right." Thor said." If Thanos has to die, then only my axe, Stormbreaker, can do so."

"Very well. She'll go with you." I said, though not happy with one of my crew leaving us at a moment of crisis.

Soumyadeep led us through several passages to an underground hangar, where a series of two-manned spaceships stood neatly in rows. Starting one up, he bid farewell and good luck to Thor and Christine, hoping they would sneak past the Chitauri radar undetected.

I pressed a button on a console as directed by Soumyadeep, and the roof of the hangar slowly opened, revealing the clear night sky, with a multitude of stars shining brightly. We stepped back as Thor's spaceship slowly lifted and exited the hangar, gaining speed as it went up, gradually declining to a shining spot on the sky.

"Well that was eventful." Tania said, stifling a yawn." I don't know about you guys, but I really need to crash somewhere. I don't know how I'm even functional."

I chuckled, earning a glare from her. Soumyadeep looked at us with a smirk." There are a few bedrooms upstairs. You're free to take them."

"Thank God!" I sighed." Considering the fact that I was almost decapitated by a robot due to lack of sleep before, I guess I should turn in too. We have to get back before it's too late. After all-" I cut myself off as I suddenly felt the cold barrel of a blaster pressing at the back of my neck.

"It's already too late, Max." A very famaliar voice spoke from behind, with a tone of hardness I'd never heard in their voice before." It's already too late."

What??! was what I could think of, but as I tried to turn around, the person pressed the blaster harder." Move,and you die. And the rest of you," the person motioned to the others, who stood there shocked." Gather in front of me. No tricks, or I'll blow your head to kingdom come." I got shoved from behind." Move, idiot."