Retribution

Steve's POV

"No!" Thanos bellowed, his fists clenched in rage as he watched his army being obliterated by a single god. But even he was in no position to do anything to them, if he valued his life. I finally felt life flow back into my veins, and could slowly get a grasp on my arms and legs.

The scene dissolved as the Space Stone began to flicker. I gripped my sword tightly and slowly stood up, facing the giant Titan in front of me.

"Your powers will not save you now, human," Thanos said."I admire your courage, your perseverance, but resistance is futile against a Titan-"

"You talk too much!" I snapped as I lunged at him. He dodged,and my blade sliced the air.

Thanos smirked, motioning at the pandemonium behind him. "Time to end this dance." The Reality Stone glowed brightly, and he conjured a gigantic double-edged sword out of thin air. Things just got more complicated.

Gripping the hilt tightly, he swung the blades, so fast that they seemed to hiss as they cut through the air. Only with my enhanced reflexes could I dodge at the last moment, the air above my hair sizzled.

"Stay still." He grumbled.

Yeah as if. I have no intention to be skewered. I thought as I dodged his blade. A game of cat and mouse ensued, he would swing and try to strike me down, and I'll just keep out of range while trying to attack.

After a few more dodges, I saw an opening and grabbed it, swinging my sword down on his arm. But he proved to be smarter, intercepting my sword with his blade. Dammit!

"You cannot understand the glory of my mission," Thanos growled as he swept at me."The nobelty. The grandeur. I am a Titan, and I will not let the universe fall into darkness again."

"The only darkness in this universe is you,".I snapped back at him, retreating a bit. "And Titan or not, you will fall!"

I lunged at him, but he deflected the blade with his own.

"The hardest sacrifices require the strongest wills," He replied. "And if I don't bring balance to the universe, it will fall, and all life in it."

"You're wrong," I gesture all around us."Humanity will never submit to a tyrant like you. All life out there are rebelling. You can't subjugate everyone. With the desire to control everything, you will ultimately control nothing."

"You have no idea!" Thanos suddenly bellowed in anger, embedding his blade in the floor. The whole tower shuddered, and I feared he had shaken the very foundation of the building itself. I tumbled down to my feet, my sword clattering away from my hand.

"You think I desire an empire. Control over the universe. You cannot be more wrong," He held up the Gauntlet. "With this i can omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent. Yet I am not, for that is not my desire." He motioned over to where Max was fighting, struggling against the steady reinforcements of Chitauri pouring in through the door."I already explained it to your friend. But he, like you, never understood."

"I think we understand enough." I replied, getting up to my feet." No matter whatever your desire may be, it is not enough to understand that you crave subjugation. Total obedience. You won't stop anywhere to achieve your goal. I'm  living proof of that." I gritted my teeth."As long as there is life in us, we will never yield. If you are a Titan, Thanos," I stood tall, looking him in the eye. "Then I am a God."

He smirked as he raised his blade slowly. "I hope you are aware that according to your ancient Greek mythology, the Titans were immensely more powerful than their children, the gods. They were so powerful that even the gods couldn't kill them, even together."