Epilogue

Max's POV

The sun rose once again over a peaceful universe, casting a golden glow over the dark lands. The winds whipped by in a cool breeze as I sped down the road on my bike, my mood lighter than it had ever been. As the rays of sunlight dispelled the darkness of the night, the golden glow engulfed the entirety of this world, which had been freed once more.

In the distance I could see the gigantic structure, America's great Egyptian obelisk, 555 feet in its height. A tiny speck of sunlight was glinting off the highest tip of the Washington Monument, growing brighter and more radiant, gleaming on the aluminum peak. I smiled as the light transformed into a beacon that hovered over the shadowed city. The first day of sunlight to hit the capstone of the Monument, illuminated two words inscribed in the metal:

Laus Deo.

Praise God.

I looked up to the heavens, where the last of the nighttime stars were fading out in the early hours of dawn. I smiled as I could sense the planets, stars, all the celestial spheres tracing their eternal orbits through the endless void of space. The darkness had been lifted from all the corners of the universe. Thanos was gone, forever. His minions and army were destroyed. It was finally over.

I maneuvered my bike while passing through the streets of Washington DC. The rebuilding process had begun. New York City was destroyed in the battle, beyond repair. The ones who survived, evacuated to DC. The rebels on Earth lent their resources and manpower, helping in the rebuilding. Settlements were being built. Infirmaries were set up to tend to the wounded. Defense structures were being rebuilt.

Our destiny was once more in our hands.

In space, the scenario was the same. With thousands of star systems being liberated, all were eager to lend a hand in the process of rebuilding. The Nova Corps and the Federation were being rebuilt. Once again, they would be in charge of maintaining peace and security in the universe.

We had resorted to a pseudo-government structure. Power was not concentrated in the hands of few. To maintain intergalactic relations, trade systems, economy and regulations, an Intergalactic Union of StarSystems (IUS) was set up. We had already over a thousand systems as members, and more were joining by the day. Each star system had one elected representative in the Union. The IUS was to be headed by a Chairman and a Council of representatives elected from each quadrant of the galaxies, each of them being answerable and accountable to the members.

Not surprisingly, Vice-Admiral Runcan had been chosen to represent the 2QR1 quadrant (the quadrant under which Earth was catalogued) and a member of the board. The Chairman was a person named Yor Kayas, Askarverian in race, a man of few words but of impeccable integrity, having the power of veto over any legislation passed by the Union.

I was surprised when I was offered a position in the Council. Apparently, my performances had impressed them and they were convinced that I had what it took to be a leader. I had to refuse. That was simply not my scene. I smirked as I remembered the conversation with Chairman Kayas.

"What did you say?" I asked, thinking my ears were playing tricks with me.

Kayas repeated his proposal. "We are offering you a position in the Council of the Union. We've seen what you did during the Rebellion. You've inspired many under your command, and you've led them to victory. It is only natural that your efforts should be rewarded."

I have to admit, I was indeed shocked. "I think there are several others more befitting of that post."

"This issue has already been discussed and sanctioned by the other Council members. They have given their approval. All that's remaining is your consent."