Chapter 8: Caught

There was no way out anymore.
And if there was, she didn't see it.

Defeated, she sank to her knees, careful with putting weight on her wounded food, folding her hands behind her head in the progress. Taking this classical pose of surrender she hoped the hunter would have mercy, despite his earlier words, and go easy on her.

No such luck for her.

At her obvious capitulation she saw his men quickly disappear to wherever they'd came from. He stayed a few more minutes just standing where he was, staring down at her, still wearing that devilish smirk. Every second that passed she was getting colder and hungrier, and her fear grew.

Still she looked him in the eye, unwavering. She hoped he couldn't see the fear swirling deep within her. She didn't want to let him see her fear. She had to be strong.
Then her fear was replaced with anger. Why would she be afraid of his reaction? Of him? She dind't do anything wrong in the first place. She was on the run, and if someone captures you, you try to escape.
Rule number one.

If someone should have the right to be angered, it should be her. She squinted her eyes and shot daggers to his.

At her glare his smirk disappeared. With three big steps he was right in front of her, grabbing her throat and pushing her up against the tree behind her. She didn't see it coming and she couldn't breathe for a moment.

Her hands grasped his forearm in panic, causing the chains to clatter loudly, but he already lessened his grip on her throat so she could take some air. Her heart was beating way faster then normal, but at least it was a sign she was still alive.

His grip was more rough than painful, but she was not mistaken. He could snap her neck in a second if he'd want to. He must have had another plan for her, cause he didn't. In a glimpse over his shoulder she saw the two wolves chilling, calmly laying down on the other side of the open space now he was here.

Her eyes snapped back to his when he brought his head closer. "Listen to me, little one." His voice was soft, yet demanding her attention. "You are mine now. Never, ever run away from me again, or you will pay the price."

She opened her mouth, ready to defend her futile escape attempt.
"You stupid, a - aaaaah" Her furious ramble got stuck in her throat when his hand on her neck disappeared. Because he was previously holding her with her feet dangling in the air, she fell down, painfully landing on her feet.

Tears gathered in her eyes instantly, the sharp pain too much to bear. Her leg could not hold her weight and she landed on her bum, scraping the tree with her back. It felt like a thousand needles were poking her through her thin clothing. A soft whine escaped her trembling lips while she tried to crawl as far away from him as possible.

He crouched down in front of her, grabbing the chain and keeping her in place easily. When she dropped her head in defeat he tilted her chin upwards with his tumb, leveling his eyes with her teary ones.

"Although I find your voice very pleasurable, you should know when to be silent. Let this be your only warning, dove. I forgive you this time, because we haven't started your training yet, but you won't like what will happen next time you defy me."
And she believed him.

With a sigh, like he was wasting his time lecturing her, he stood up, pulling her roughly with him. With a gasp she stumbled up, not daring to say a word anymore. Tears were freely running down her cheeks while she watched him, afraid of his next step. The pain was immense and combined with the hunger and cold, she finally lost her consciousness.

--

When she opened her eyes again a set of stormy blue eyes watched her intently. His eyes.

"Why didn't you tell me about this?" He hissed the last part. Confused she tried to focus on what he could mean. Where was she? And what did she have to tell him again?

Then her foggy brain registered what he was pointing at. Her foot. And they were still in the forest, just the two of them in the middle of the open space. Apparently she'd just been out for a couple of minutes. Damn. How she wished she could sleep and never wake up again.

She closed her eyes, tired from everything, from him. He started muttering something, but she didn't comprehend. "The tree... Was on purpose... But shit... What am I gonna do with you now..."

She drifted in and out of her pain-caused slumber, feeling him tugging at her body. She didn't care what he did to her. As long as she was asleep she felt nothing. Feeling nothing was good.

--

She woke up again from the unfamiliar feeling of something moving beneath her and something hard and warm behind her. She was sitting on a horse. Her back was sore, as was her foot, but at least the immense pain was gone. The chain on her wrists was replaced by a rope that held her wrists together and was tightly knotted to the saddle. She didn't even need to guess who was sitting behind her, keeping her captive in his arms. The tingles said it all.

"Hello sweetheart." His voice made her shiver again. "Eat this"
He was holding a piece of bread in his hand. Salvia watered her mouth while she looked at it. She was so hungry! "Uhh... How am I supposed to eat when my hands are bound?" She hated that her voice sounded weak.

"Stupid question, darling." His hand held the bread teasingly in front of her lips. No way she was eating out of his hands. She sealed her lips tight, not planning to even accept a crumble from his fingers, no matter how hungry se was.

"Wrong choice, honey," his voice sing-songed in her ear. His hand gripped her hair, pulling her head backwards painfully. When she gasped in pain he quickly pushed a small piece of bread inside.

"You either accept your food or I'll force you. Your call. Wouldn't want you to black out again, would we?"

"I'll accept it." She forced the words out of her throat as soon as she swallowed. "Good girl."
He immediately let go of her hair and held the piece of bread again in front of her. She carefully took a bite this time, avoiding his strong fingers, and it wasn't long before she finished it. After her sober meal she felt ten times better.

A few minutes later they reached the hem of the woods. It had been dark in the forest, and she'd thought it was night already, but now they were out of the woods she could still see some light in the distance.
Her eyes catched the last orange glimpses of the sunset. She stiffened and his words played around in her mind.

Before sundown I'll have you back in my arms... His arms tightened around her waist while he buried his nose in her hair. No doubt he was also thinking of his earlier words.

"Yes, I made you a promise, darling", the hunter whispered darkly in her ear. She shivered, a combination of fear and something else swirling deep in the pit of her stomach. "And you'll find out I always keep my promises."