8》Kai

Dating a well known and strongly loathed Heretic was always going to come with its issues and most of the time Y/N ignored the bitter comments, which was getting harder to do as time went on.

Tonight she was celebrating her birthday at the one building her boyfriend was least welcome, the Salvatore boarding house. The group of friends had decided to throw her a party and managed to get her to agree to coming under the condition that he could come too, something they were not happy with but complied nonetheless.

Both herself and Kai arrived a few minutes after the party had officially started. The music blasted around the filled house and drinks were flowing too. The environment reminded Y/N why she didn't want to come in the first place. She wasn't a party sort of person. Her idea of a fun night was watching a movie and eating junk food or having game nights. She had already begun to have the feeling of wanting to leave but she was pulled from her thoughts by the appearance of her friends.

"Happy Birthday Y/N!!!" the three of them excitedly yelled whilst pulling her into a group hug. They did their best to ignore Kai's presence but Y/N saw the glares they shot him.

"Guys, you promised." Y/N reminded them.

"We know. It doesn't mean that we have to like it." Bonnie replied.

"Nice to see you too." Kai added before leaning closer to her. "I'll be in the kitchen getting a drink if you need me." She watched as he walked away into the growing crowd.

"Finally." was muttered under Elena's breath as it was now just the four of them.

"Let's go party!" Caroline said as she pulled on Y/N's arm to get her to the dancing area, not allowing her to say no. Her three friends were dancing to the rhythm and enjoying themselves whilst she stood awkwardly trying to figure out an escape plan.

"I'm going to go get a drink." she yelled over the music so that they could hear her.

"I'll go and get you one. You should stay here and have some fun." Bonnie suggested.

"it's fine really, I-"

Bonnie cut her off "I'll be back in a minute." The girl wandered off leaving Y/N to once again be greeted by the uncomfortable surroundings.

               ♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢
Bonnie was heading to the kitchen when she noticed a figure moving in one of the, supposed to be empty, rooms. She slowly made her way inside to see Kai holding an ornament in one hand and a drink in the other with his back facing her.

"What are you doing in here?" She folded her arms across her chest as he turned to her, placing the ornament down and stepping forward.

"Just admiring the decor."

"Well this part is supposed to be closed off to partygoers."

"It's a good job I'm not one of them then."

"You're certainly a lot of other things." She flashed him a bitter smile.

"At least I own it." He smirked.

"I'd rather not be a sociopath, thank you." she retorted.

"-and clearly you also don't want to be a good friend either."

"I'm looking out for her. You're no good for her and you don't deserve to be with her after everything you've done." she spat, glaring at the man before her.

"Oh, don't be so dramatic." Kai rolled his eyes. "I'm practically harmless."

"Harmless!?" Bonnie scoffed. "I've almost died twice because of you. Infact, half of your family is dead because of you!" she raised her voice in anger.

"Keyword is almost and you should really consider moving on from that, you didn't even know them. The real tragedy there was those that survived but I'm working on that."

"So much for being a changed man. How long did that last huh?"

They were intruppted by Elena entering the room after hearing the commotion. "What's going on in here?"

The two ignored her and continued their argument as if she wasn't there. "I'm trying to be better for her but I can't change everything about me. I don't care what any of you think of me. All I care about is Y/N. She is the only person to see me as me and not as an abomination like everybody else. The only person not to judge me over something I couldn't control." Kai's own voice raised slightly.

"Stop playing the victim card and change the record." Elena rolled her eyes. "You didn't have to do what you did."

"Oh, I'm sorry sweetheart..I forgot that's your role." he smirked before turning serious again. "Look, this wasn't even the point I was trying to make. You all try to come across as these great friends but you don't even know Y/N at all."

"Of course we do! We've know her a lot longer than you." Bonnie defended.

"It doesn't matter how long you've known somebody. It matters how much you know about somebody. If you're her friends then you'd know she hates parties. She'd rather be home watching some sappy movie and stuffing her face with junk food. If you were her friends you'd know her favourite colour, the name of her favourite pet and why she cares so much for people who don't care for her. " He finished with a frown.

The girls were left speechless with the realisation of what terrible friends they had been until Bonnie regained the courage to speak." We do care."

"Well you need to get better at showing it." he scoffed. "I don't care about what any of you think of me but I do care that every time I'm with her, you cristise her choices by attacking me." He sent them a harsh glare before exiting the room to find her stood outside. "Y/N I-"

"Let's get out of here." she smiled at him sadly before taking his hand and leading the both of them out of the house.

They both walked in silence for a long while as they headed into the direction of the town. They silently grabbed a pizza from a takeaway shop before heading back to their shared apartment.

                ♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢
Once they had arrived home, Y/N began to speak. "Thank you." Her voice came out in a soft whisper as he placed the pizza box onto the living room table.

"What for? I ruined your night after I promised I wouldn't and that I'd be civil with your friends." he sighed.

"For being unapologetically you. They were the ones that weren't being civil like I had asked. You... You were defending and looking out for me and what I wanted. You were the only one in that house full of people who knew me completely. I don't care about what you did in your past because that doesn't define who you are now. I guess I'm lucky to know you. " She wrapped his arms around her waist as they shared a loving hug.

"You know, we've still got-" he lifted his wrist to look at his gold watch, the one she had bought him for their one year anniversary together, and read the time displayed. "-ten minutes left of your birthday to make sure you still get your perfect night and frankly you still owe me a dance." he smirked.

"Do we have to?" she pouted, playfully.

He hummed with a slight nod before turning on her favourite song and pulling her close to slow dance in the middle of the living room. The two of them were swaying to the music with loving smiles upon their faces as they enjoyed the end of the now perfect night.

             ♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢

(A/N: I really enjoyed making this imagine and I hope you guys like it too. I also made it longer as I haven't done in a while but anyway thank you so much for reading😊💙)