14《 Jake

"What are you doing?" Jake's voice rang out in the almost empty room.

Y/N jumped slightly at his presence but quickly tried to hide it. "Nothing, just came for some peace and quiet. Katie's teaching too so I thought I'd get out the way." she replied and calmly sat back in the chair.

"There's plenty of places you could've gone to for that. Why Dr Cannerts office?" he folded his arms, unimpressed.

"Is this an interrogation, officer?" a smug smile spread across her face as she stood up.

"No but-"

She cut him off, folding her arms across her chest. "Well then I'm sure you've got more pressing matters to deal with."

He took a step forward. "what you're doing is illegal."

"I don't know what you're talking about. Since when did sitting down in a quiet space become a crime?" Y/N pushed back, sensing his slow building annoyance.

"The moment you decided to illegally access a doctors computer and then the private files." He fired back with a stony look.

"Firstly, you've got no proof of that because I was just relaxing. Secondly, even if you did have proof, you're not going to arrest me because like I said earlier, you've got bigger issues to deal with." she challenged back.

There was a pause for silence.

"That's what I thought. So if you don't mind, I'd like to be left alone now." she kept her face expressionless as she headed back to the chair behind Dr Cannerts desk.

"I know you did it. I've known you for three years and I lived with you everyday before this. You've got this little thing that gives you away every time you lie, Y/N." Jake now had his own smug expression.

Y/N looked up, cursing herself mentally. "Really? What's that then? What's my tell?"

"You look to the ground first before you look up to speak. It's a dead giveaway." He watched her eyes avert to the desk in front of her and then slowly back up to him. "There's it is, just in time to prove my point."

"Fine. I was looking for any information I could find on patient zero. Something doesn't feel right about this whole thing. After I heard you and Katie talking, I knew I couldn't just sit around not doing anything."

Jake sighed, fighting a battle with himself on whether to turn a blind eye or not." We're out there doing everything possible to keep people safe. To make sure this virus doesn't get any worse and to keep things in order. "

"And look at how far that's gotten everyone. More and more people are dying. People are starting riots and stealing. This whole containment situation has made this place lawless and those outside of it, who are supposed to be in charge, don't seem to give a shit!"

"Y/N-"

"No, Jake. You know I'm right. So you can either leave me to it or you can help me. It's your choice."

Her eyes stayed focused on him as his did on her. After a moment he walked to stand beside her and spoke. "What have you got so far?"

**************************

"Hey, you did good today. We might actually get to go home soon." Jake half smiled as he sat on the floor beside Y/N.

"I know. You're welcome." a smug smile showing once again on her face.

"You've always loved a good 'I told you so' moment." He let out a huffed laugh.

"Who doesn't? Plus this one comes with bonus points because I did your job better than you

"Who doesn't? Plus this one comes with bonus points because I did your job better than you."

"I didn't know we were keeping score." He raised an eyebrow at her, questioningly.

"If we are then I've totally got you beat." she turned her head slightly and smiled at him.

"Maybe I let you have this one." He smiled back as he looked to her too.

"In your dreams, Officer."

They both let out a laugh, enjoying the first, almost, normal moment they've had together in a while.

"I'm serious though. If it wasn't for you, I don't know what would be happening right now. Things are finally moving forward." He gave a heartfelt smile as he held out his hand to her.

"Four to six feet remember?"

"We're sat next to each other, I think that rule went out the window the moment I sat down. Besides, you're my fiancée so till death do us part and all that."

"Hey! We're not married yet so the vows don't count." she took his hand anyway after a moment.

"Let's get married." He whispered, partially to himself.

"We are you idiot. We already agreed on that when I said yes to your proposal, hence the ring." she held up her hand to show the silver ring.

"No. I know. I meant let's get married sooner than we planned originally. The day we get out of here even. This whole situation has put a lot of things in to perspective and I've realised that I don't want to waste another minute of life without you in it permanently."

"You've gotten sappy." she laughed lightly, sniffling back tears.

"Yeah a lots changed. I think I've even changed because of all this. But one thing that hasn't changed is that I love you, Y/N."

"Oh, come here."she grabbed his face and pulled him in for a kiss." I love you too and I'd love to be Mrs Riley as soon as possible."

He smiled and pulled her back in for another kiss, enjoying a rare moment of happiness and peace amongst a place of chaos.

**************************

(A/N: Hello, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I've been struggling to come up with ideas to write for this book so I don't know whether to finish it. However I enjoy writing about these characters so I may keep it going but with longer times between updates. I'm also debating writing another book like this for other TVD characters.

Anyway, I can't believe this book has reached over 4k reads! I never expected that but thank you! I'm glad that you all are enjoy reading what I put out. Until next time!