13 》Kai

Portland 1989

The high school hallways were crowded as everyone made their way to the next assigned class. Everyone apart from Kai Parker and Y/N. She had seen him wander off into the empty cafeteria and her curiosity told her to follow.

Y/N and Kai were somewhat close friends, not that anyone else knew that. They'd been friends for over a year now and she was the only reason Kai kept going to school. Before they met he would go months at a time without going to school and only appear every now and again. He hated it there. Hated how everyone treat him just like they did in the place he was supposed to call "home".

When she arrived in the cafeteria, She spotted Kai sat down at one of the tables with a few things in front of him. "What's all this?" she asked, swinging her legs over the bench and sitting opposite him.

"Nothing for you to worry about." He replied, shoving everything back into his pockets. "Don't you have a lesson to be in anyway?"

"I could say the same for you." a smug look on her face.

"Well I'm not the one who cares so much about their education."

"No, you're the one who mopes about all day and hides things from their friend." She crossed her arms over her chest, trying to prove a point.

"Touché." He nodded to her, a smirk of his own appearing.

"W-What do you mean by that?" her once strong stance began to crumble.

"You've got secrets too. Feel like sharing?"

"I.. I don't know what you're talking about. Why don't you share yours?"

"Well I asked you first so.." He looked at her, waiting for an answer.

"I.. I- uh." Her words kept getting stuck in her throat and tears slowly began to brim her eyes. "I don't think I can tell you. I don't want to lose the only friend I've got."

"You won't. Believe me, I've had my fair share of crazy in life." Without thinking, he placed his hand on top of hers that was resting on the table.

Y/N took a deep breath. "What I'm going to tell you, you can't tell anyone. This stays between you and me.. Promise?"

"I promise. Want me to pinky swear too?" he joked, trying to lighten the mood as he held his pinky up on his free hand.

She let out a breathy laugh. She went over what she was going to say in her head a couple of times as she built up the courage to actually go through with it.

"Any time today would be great."

She rolled her eyes at him before finally getting it off her chest. "I'm a werewolf. I change every full moon and I have no control over what I do. I kill people and there's nothing I can do to stop it." tears fell from her eyes as she spoke. "I broke the curse when I got into a car accident. The headlights suddenly stopped working so I didn't see the woman who'd crossed the road in front of me. She died because of me."

"That's not your fault. You weren't to know that would happen. As for being a werewolf, we can work on dealing with that." Kai spoke in reassurance.

"We?"

He chuckled. "Trust you to only hear that part. Yes, we. I do care about you, you know. No matter how much I try to hide it."

"You still have to tell me your secret." she informed, changing the subject.

"Well it's definitely the day for crazy because..." He gave an overly dramatic pause before continuing. "I'm a siphoner."

"What's that?"

"I can siphon magic from supernatural beings or elements to be able to do spells and other witchy woo stuff." He smiled at her laughter. "Only thing is I can't produce my own magic. I have to get it from someone or something else. That's why my dear family calls me an abomination."

"But that's not your fault. You had no choice in that." she had an empathetic look on her face.

"They don't see it that way and they never will. But hey, I always believe that liking yourself is the most important thing and I like me. You should like you too."

"If I had your confidence then maybe I would."

After a moments silence and thought , Kai spoke up. "Do you fancy making a deal with the devil? I'll help you with your situation if you help me with mine." a ghost of a smirk showed on his face as he held out his hand.

She was slightly hesitant at first but she shook his hand anyway, hoping that some day soon she wouldn't have to live in fear of herself.

♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢

(A/N) : Hello! Sorry that this is a short one but I wanted to get a chapter posted. Anyway, Today marks a year since I started this book and I can't believe how many reads its gotten. I only made it because I had so many ideas in my head that I just wanted to write down somewhere. It was purely for my own enjoyment but I'm glad you all seem to like it too! I plan to continue with this book until I run out of ideas as I adore both characters and they're fun to write for. Thank you for taking the time to read this book and for all the lovely comments and even votes. I appreciate it so much💙