11《 Jake

It had been three weeks since the viral outbreak had happened. Three weeks since everyone was finally allowed to return back to their normal lives. Well, as normal as they could now be.

Many got straight back into things. Jake had too. After a week off he decided to go back to work. His coworkers were surprised to see him back in work so suddenly considering what had happened not so long ago. Jake had insisted though and nothing was going to change his stubborn mindset. Not even his worried girlfriend, Y/N.

Y/N was so happy when he returned home safe and well once the corden had been lifted. Only, what returned home wasn't the same as what had left. As each day passed she noticed the changes more and more. He had dark circles and an almost blank look in his once bright blue eyes. He was restless. He'd manage to get an hour, maybe even less, of sleep each night. Some nights he wouldn't sleep at all. However, the nights he did would quickly be disturbed as he woke in a panicked sweat.

Y/N had tried to get through to him. Asking questions on what exactly his nightmares were. Asking how much sleep he'd gotten the night before. Asking why he wouldn't talk to her.

Asking too many questions, Jake thought.

Today was no different. Jake had got up early morning, knowing Y/N wouldn't be up for a while, and headed out for work. When Y/N finally got up herself, she quickly got herself ready and headed to work for the day, hoping to distract herself from worrying about her boyfriend. However, that never worked.

♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢

It was five o'clock when she returned home from work. The apartment was still dark, as she'd expected. She placed her bag and coat on the rack and removed her shoes with a sigh. She then went and got changed into more comfortable clothes before making a start on food.

An hour had passed when she finally sat down to eat. The TV was on in the background as she quietly munched on her food. Once finished, she placed her plate on the table and grabbed her phone.

She had somehow lost track of time as she scrolled through videos and pictures of her and Jake. Looking back on happier times. The door opened and in he walked, not even sparing her a glance. Her heart breaking ever so slightly but she brushed it aside.

"Hey. You're home early. How was work?" She spoke softly, standing up.

"Fine."

His best friend Lex and the rest of the team had forced him to go home. They too had noticed how tired and withdrawn he'd been lately.

She nodded and picked up her empty plate. "I made food. Your favourite actually. It's in the microwave for whenever you want it. Just needs re-heating. " she gave him a sweet smile, earning a nod in return before heading to wash up.

Jake headed straight to the bathroom and Y/N sighed before continuing to clean. Once finished, she wandered into the bedroom. That's when she heard his footsteps heading into the kitchen, almost like he had waited for her to leave.

After brushing her teeth and changing into her nightwear, she climbed under the covers. Sleep taking over as soon as she hit the pillow.

♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢▪♢

A rustling noise awoke her. Eyes opening to find it was still dark. The space beside her empty. She heard heavy breathing coming from somewhere in the room so she quickly turned the bedside lamp on. Her eyes slowly adjusting to the sudden light. Just as she'd suspected, it was Jake. She hurried over to him and placed her hand on his back, rubbing it in a comforting way. "Take deep breaths. Like this." she took slow and steady breaths with him to try and calm him down.