Three || Over and Over

Isabelle has spent more time in my living room than my parents for the last seven years. From the second she'd tripped Macy Moore during a test in fifth grade after she'd embarrassed me in front of our entire soon-to-be graduating class, we'd been inseparable. She loved the idea of being able to escape the constant hovering of her strict mother and I embraced the thought of having someone to keep me company around my empty house.

Our biggest escape from the world fell on the same day every year; the first day of school. The moment school let out; we'd go our separate ways. Isabelle would disappear home to pack for the night she'd be spending at my house, and I'd spend most of the late afternoon preparing. Preparation for our movie nights always consisted of three things: ice cream, blankets, and horror movies. Missing one of the necessities always proved for a fun night considering Isabelle had the tendency to be tedious and sentimental about certain things, our movie nights being one of them.

We hadn't talked much over the summer, but the tradition had survived our lack of communication. Isabelle had sent a text as soon as the last bell rang through the school, and I had a chance to break through the doors and out into the heat. It didn't ask if the night was still on, it demanded that it was.

As I spread one of Landon's old blues throws over the stained carpet, my thoughts drifted to that of the college application for Harvard I'd dropped off at the post office for Isabelle before she'd disappeared in early June. This was possibly the last movie night we'd have before she left for college, and I had no desire to be hosting it. All I wanted is to curl up on the roof outside my bedroom, close my eyes, and pray when I opened them that what happened was all no more than a nightmare I couldn't shake.

"Hey." The quiet, emotionless greeting shook me from my daze.

Colton stood in front of the door, his black backpack hanging off one shoulder as he nudged the door shut with the other. His rusty hair was a mess and looked as if he'd crawled out of bed hours ago without brushing it. It very well could have been a deliberate look, but I'd stopped caring about trends months ago.

He tossed the backpack on to the arm of the loveseat before shouting for Landon, eyes shooting toward the staircase in anticipation of my brother jogging down the steps to respond to him.

"He's out looking for another job." I whispered, straightening myself. "He also mentioned we could just eat without him. I'm guessing he's going to have a late one tonight."

Colton shifted awkwardly, scratching at the back of his head. "What are you doing?"

The awkward silence hung in the air between us as I tried to find the words to explain movie nights without boring him. My thoughts redirected themselves back to him instead. Despite knowing him since I was four-the two of them five-I had yet to really get to know Colton Hunter. All he had ever been growing up was my brother's best friend. He hadn't ever really taunted and teased me as Landon did, but almost brushed me off as if I didn't really interest him. I guess I felt the same way. He'd always just been there; wherever my brother was, he wasn't far behind.

"Avery?" Colton prompted.

"Belle and I are having one of our annual movie nights." I breathed out softly, then added quickly, "You can join us if you want."

He waved a hand carelessly in the air in front of him. "No, no. You girls have fun."

I grabbed a couple comforters from the closet with a curt nod, keeping a safe distance from Colton, afraid I may flinch with even the slightest touch of his hand. I made it back to the living room and set one of the blankets on the floor as he lingered in the foyer. After a moment of losing himself in his thoughts, he shrugged a shoulder and smiled weakly.