{Twenty-Four} Where Were You

*****WARNING*****

Chapter contains mature content. Reader discretion is advised

******************

I knew it was Landon the second I saw his silhouette making its way down the stairs to the shore.

I had seen my brother a lot of things over the last seventeen years. Pissed, high, drunk, crying, guilty. But never had I seen him look ready to kill his best friend. Before I could stop him, Landon grabbed Colton by the collar of his shirt and swung.

"Landon!" I cried, clawing hysterically at the back of his jacket. Still too caught up in his own fury, he shook me off and pushed me back with a shake of his head.

My brother had never been a very good judge of his own strength and it seemed as though seconds after his hands touched my shoulders I was down in the sand, my hands buried deep in it.

My heart sunk somewhere far beyond the deepest pit of my stomach when an image of Kevin standing over me took the place of my brother and Colton before me.

I started to crab walk backwards, terrified of the sadistic boy in front of me.

"Oh, come on, Spencer." He slurred. "You've been asking for it all night."

I shook my head repeatedly, but it did nothing to protect me from his wandering hands. He grasped tightly at my waist, pulling me back toward him with a smug look. I squeezed my legs together as tight as I possibly could, kicking at him. The moment my foot came into contact with his jaw, I had no doubt in my mind there was no way in hell I wasn't going to be able to escape him.

He turned to his left and spat blood, wiping at his mouth before he turned back to me, furious, and pinned my arms against the sand.

"Do it again, bitch." He threatened. "And you'll wish I killed you when I'm done."

I knew that the only reason I wasn't a total and complete wreck right now was because of my adrenaline and hope. My adrenaline was keeping me fighting and the hope that my brother or Colton, or anybody from the party for that matter, would come and stop Kevin before he could get any further.

But both of the emotions soon dulled and faded entirely as he positioned himself between my legs, forcing them apart roughly. I tried again to kick him, to squirm away, but his grasp pinning my arms ground was too tight and the weight of his body over mine trapped me beneath him.

He slid his hand up my thigh, easing his way toward my bikini bottom. I cried out again, causing him to push himself even further on to me.

"Shut up." He hissed through clenched teeth.

As the adrenaline finally subsided, I could feel a harsh throbbing in my right side and felt the trickling of blood down my hips and on to my legs. I had no idea why I was bleeding or what had caused it, and I knew it'd be a long time before I could figure it out.

"Don't cry, Spencer." Kevin grabbed my left thigh roughly and pushed it aside before reaching for the top of his swim trunks. "Everything's fine."

Blurred flashes continued around me, but if someone asked me exactly what happened after those two words, after he finally closed that small distance between us and I lost all hope, I wouldn't have been able to answer. I could recall him entering me so fast and rough that I screamed again. I could recall him slapping me hard across the face one last time before forcing his hand over my mouth so I didn't draw attention to us. Besides that, I don't remember feeling anything except pain and hatred, for myself and Kevin.

When he was done, he rose, pulled up his dark swim trunks and grabbed the red solo cup he'd left in the sand a few feet away before turning his back to me and heading back toward the party. I waited until his image faded into the night to roll over on my side, hugging my red jacket around me with trembling hands.

Nobody noticed I was gone, nobody had any idea what had happened. It was as if it hadn't happened at all.

But it had. I could still feel the throbbing all along the bottom half of my body, the shame of what I'd just allowed the rich asshole to do to me. I could have fought back, I could have done something, and I hadn't. I had-

"Avery!" I was startled back into reality by my brother shaking me roughly, as if I was no more than a rag doll in his hands.

I screamed, kicking him. I gasped quietly when I got him in the groin and he stumbled back, cursing under his breath as he held his crotch.

Colton was a few feet a way, down on one knee holding his bloody nose, eying me worriedly.

I was still too lost in the feeling of that night, the memories of Kevin, to calm down. My brother looked toward Colton, then back toward me and shook his head.

"What the hell is going on?" He snapped. I only stared at him in confusion. When he realized I wasn't going to say anything, he continued. "All these calls from your school, all your secretive shit, the pills and alcohol, not eating, and now sneaking around with Colton. What kind of shit did he get you into, Avery?" Colton started to stand, fighting back in bitterness.

The boys fighting only added to my anxiety, and when Colton stood again and made his way over to my brother, I did the only thing that came to mind.

I ran.

**

I had no idea where I was going, no destination. Its exactly how I'd spent the rest of that night. Aimlessly wandering the streets in the middle of the night in nothing more than my jacket for hours until I eventually wandered into a hospital soaked in blood.

I kept running until my legs gave out and I collapsed outside a house in the grass. It was then, glancing to my left and seeing a seeing a familiar beige Camry, that I realized that I subconsciously did have a destination all along.

I touched Isabelle's car for a moment, then stood, ready to continue on when I caught sight of my best friend peeking out through the blinds. She immediately jogged out the front door, nudging her Lab out of the way and rushing toward me.

"Hey, Ave, what are you doing here?" She got a closer look as she approached, "Are you okay?"

The words slipped out before I could find a way to stop them.

"No." I whispered. "I need to tell you something."

***AN***

Hope you guys enjoyed! 

Let me know what you think/thought!