{Twenty-Eight} I Hate You

I had never been one to be aware of my surroundings. It was one of the few things that Isabelle and my brother both agreed on. They would always try to put the fear of God into me by telling me it'd get me killed one day.

I just don't think they realized how right they truly were.

As I slowly lowered myself into the chair opposite of Isabelle, it felt as if the obnoxiously loud cafeteria were nothing but a dull backdrop behind my best friend. I didn't hear the quiet gossip of the girls at the other end of the table, or the jocks chanting the school song across the room, I didn't see the crammed table of the color guard and dance team a few feet away.

All I saw was the chipped pink fingernail of my best friend as she muttered quietly to herself-or possibly to me, I was just too caught up in myself and my own thoughts to listen.

"Avery," Isabelle outstretched her hand and rested it on top of mine gently, "are you ok?"

Before I could get a coherent answer out, Isabelle's grew rigid. Her bottom lip, blanketed with a fresh coat of purple lipstick, curled back into a look of disgust. She shook her head slowly, rising slowly when a familiar laugh sounded behind me and acted as a complete detour of focus.

I knew the quiet, gritty laugh. It was a sound that would forever be imprinted in my head.

"Such a warm greeting, Watson." Kevin joked.

My best friend slammed her palms against the table, shaking every tray that inhabited it. "Fuck you."

I forced myself from the table, my trembling hands fighting with the Styrofoam tray.

I jerked away from the boy behind me, dodging his outstretched hand with a quiet cry.

"You're not going to get away with what you did to my car, Spencer. You know that right?" I wanted so desperately to turn and run in the other direction, but I knew if I even as much as budged my legs would give out beneath me and I'd collapse. '

"I. . . I don't know what you're talking about."

He laughed without emotion, "You know exactly what I'm talking about."

The words slipped from between my chapped lips before I could stop them.

"You raped me."

He had my wrists in a deadlock before I had a chance to react, closing the distance between us. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Without another word my rapist dropped my hands so they fell limply at my side and stalked across the cafeteria, leaving close to everyone in the crowded dining hall staring after him until he broke passed the door and out into the courtyard.

*

I watched as blood trickled down my forearm, my tooth digging into my bottom lip. After a moment, I forced my sleeve back to its original position along my wrist and jogged down the stairs.

I met both boys at the foot of the stairs, both looking like models for a Footlocker commercial. They held a shopping bag in either hand; my brother digging into one of the shoe boxes with a grimace.

"What the hell are you guys doing?" I dropped off the last stair, glancing back and forth between them.

My brother shrugged.

Yawning, Colton responded for him. "Just taking care of some unfinished business. Don't worry about it."

"Absolutely not. Stop!" I snapped, slapping the bag out of Colton's hand. "Both of you, stop!"

Colton hesitated, then rested a hand on my shoulder. "It's fine, Ave. We're just going to hang out with some old friends. Just go to your support group, we'll be there to pick you up, alright?"

*

If asked what was said at tonight's meeting, I would only stare blankly ahead, as I did most of the night anyway. My mind was racing a million miles per hour thinking about whatever stupid thing my brother and Colton were doing across town this late at night.

The only thing distracting me from my dark abyss of thoughts was Bianca's quiet chatter and hand occasionally giving mine a squeeze. I hadn't heard more than a sentence she'd said tonight, and as much as I wish I could, I couldn't find it in me to try and focus to try and hear anymore. S

She had asked the second I walked in if I would join her at her next AA meeting, which I had agreed to before getting lost in my own thoughts.

"Hi, everyone, I'm Bianca Simpson."

My friend's quiet voice broke through my intense thoughts.

"Hi, Bianca." Was repeated in response.

She shifted uncomfortably beside me. "I recently found that I'm not as over my. . . assault as I thought I was. I relapsed a few days ago, went back to my old ways by drowning my thoughts and demons in alcohol and I hate myself horribly for it." She paused, rubbing her palm against her pant leg anxiously. "Anyway, that's it for my weekly update."

The applause to her confession was soon followed by every pair of eyes on me. Millie offered a supportive, but questioning, look. I shook my head, knowing very well I wouldn't be able to get a word out. Not tonight.

Possibly not ever.

Without another word or pressing me any further, Millie continued on with the rest of the meeting.

*

Landon and Colton pulled up outside the building ten minutes after the doors were closed and locked behind us. Bianca had decided to stay and wait with me until they showed, looking more than a little curious when they both stalked in my direction, looking almost as exhausted as I did.

I pulled Colton aside after Bianca diverted her attention from him and redirected it to my brother.

"Where did you two go?" I asked.

He avoided eye contact. "Just to hang with some friends, Ave."

"Colt-"

"Look, Avery. Just drop it. We're fine, don't worry about it."

We stood there, inches apart, eyes burning into one another before he finally broke his gaze and turned his attention to my brother and Bianca, laughing at some little inside joke.

"Well, my dear Avery," he shot me a look, "looks like you might of just played matchmaker."

"It's not that easy, Colton. We can't just get into a relationship and everything be fine and dandy. The guy has to know what we've been through, understand any physical feelings will be strained and hard to overcome."

He stared at me sympathetically. I nudged him with a shake of my head.

"Don't look at me like that." I snapped.

He sighed, outstretching his arms before him before flashing me a wry smile, "You, Avery Spencer, are one of a kind."

*****AN****

Hope you guys enjoyed! I'm so sorry for the late update! 

Let me know what you guys think/thought!

~ChasingMadness24