{Twenty-Three} Please Believe Me When I Say

Once Bianca decided it would be a good idea to head to an afternoon meeting, Isabelle took it as her chance to let me in on her plans for the night.

Plans that thankfully didn't involve me.

She when into a very detailed description on how she planned on surprising her boyfriend for his birthday. Even with her peppy tone and excitement radiating off her, I couldn't bring myself to even try and force a smile.

Just when I thought I'd escaped my best friend once more without any questions, she grasped my forearm and shook her head.

"I don't know what's going on with you, Avery." She started. "And don't sit here and try to convince me it isn't anything. You've been my best friend since we were three. Hell, I probably know you better than you know yourself."

When I diverted my eyes from her intense, worried look, she loosened her grip and unlocked the door with a heavy sigh. "Just know I'm here if you need to talk, Ave. Whatever happened, know I won't judge you for it."

Without looking her way, I hopped out of her car and shut the door with a hushed, "Thank you."

She smiled weakly, starting her Camry.

"That's what best friends are for. I love you, Ave. I'm only a call away if you need to talk."

She sped off the second I took a step back up on to the curb, waving. I sucked in a deep breath, eyes fluttering shut as I tried to recollect myself. If by some chance Landon was home early, I didn't need him questioning why I looked even more guilty and on the verge of a breakdown than usual.

I was relieved to find the house was quiet, a good sign my brother wasn't home. Landon had the tendency to be overly optimistic and loud about everything. I had always concluded it had to do with the fact that he was neglected when we were kids and our parents never listened to him. He felt that he had to be louder to try and catch people's attention and optimistic to keep his emotions buried deep down.

I set my purse on the kitchen table and headed for the stairs. Just as I was about to walk up them, Colton's bedroom door creaked open a crack. As I reached out to close my fingers around the knob, the door was yanked all the way open.

A very tired and wet Colton looked me up and down before jokingly asking, "Can I help you?"

It didn't take a rocket scientist to know he'd just gotten out of the shower. He hadn't even had enough time to put any clothes on. He stood in nothing but a brown towel wrapped around his torso that I prayed wouldn't come loose. Feeling as if I was invading his privacy, I started to turn my back toward him, interrupted by his wet hand catching, and slipping down, my wrist until I looked back at him over my shoulder.

"What's up, Ave?" He questioned.

"Nothing, I was just going to close your door. I saw it open." I responded.

At least it wasn't a complete lie. It had been the initial reason why I'd went to his room. It hadn't been until I was standing in front of him that the questioned crossed my mind.

"Avery." He crossed his arms over his chest with a skeptical look.

I dropped my gaze to the carpet under my shoes. "I need you to take me somewhere. Are you busy tonight?"

He shook his head with such a goofy, lopsided smile that I could feel the right side of my mouth involuntarily trying to tug up into one. He leaned into the door frame a minute later with a curt nod and touched his hand to my tense knuckles at my side.

"I'm all yours, Ave."

*

"Ave, I love you, but tell me your not dragging me out into the middle of nowhere to murder me." Colton muttered, wearing a bewildered, and slightly frightened, expression.