{Seven} I Can Only Tell You What It Feels Like

The silence was deafening.

The loud hum of the old engine was all that could be heard in the cab of the truck. Despite the light brushing of his calloused fingertips against the knob on the car radio, he decided against pressing down and turning it on a couple times before giving up on the thought altogether. I could feel his worried gaze find me more than once, but like the radio, he didn't press me for answers.

He eventually cleared his throat, and the silence heavy in the air between us, with a quick look out his window. "Are you okay?"

"What?"

"You fell in the store." he said, slowing the car to a stop. "Are you okay? Did you hurt yourself at all?"

I opened my mouth to assure him I was okay, but stopped short when I lifted my head and met his eyes. The deep blue appeared to be pulsating, provoking an answer. Though he and Kevin shared the same eye color, Colton's had a greenish hue and even that slight difference was enough to calm me a little,

"I'm fine, Colton." I said, "Thanks for the ride." Reaching for the door, I was taken back when the sound of them locking echoed through the car. I spun around, staring at my brother's best friend in horror.

"What the hell?" I snapped.

He tapped his fingers along the steering wheel before gripping it tightly. "You know Landon's here for you, right? I'm here for you, Avery. Whatever it is that's bothering you, you can tell us. We're always willing to listen."

I nodded, struggling to force a smile. "I know, Colt, thanks."

The sensation of being trapped faded a little when the doors clicked, and I was able to free myself from the suddenly hot, claustrophobic truck. I slammed the door behind me, feeling his eyes burning into the back of my head as I jogged up the porch steps and slipped into the house without looking back.

*

I crept down the stairs with a light, flightiness in each step, scared I may draw too much unwanted attention to myself if I pressed down with my full weight. I'd spent over two hours with my head in my hands on top of my bed, tears warming my cheeks with every minute that passed. Landon knew me well enough, that even with the splashing of cold water on my face and a little makeup, he'd be able to tell I'd been crying in a heartbeat. That was the last thing I wanted; he has too much on his plate to add me to the mix.

I stopped dead in my tracks on the third to last stair upon hearing Colton's gruff voice talk over my brother's.

"Landon, man, I'm serious. There's something going on with her."

There's silence, then Landon's very deflective response.

"Did you ever think it's our parents playing head games finally getting to her? Or maybe that she's as sick of this shitty little town as we are?" Landon questioned. "I'm sure she's fine, Colton. She's Avery. She's my sister, she can handle herself."

I continued down the last few stairs as Colton fought back in denial.

"I think it's more than that, bro." he said. "I mean she's been really distant and-"

"Let me handle my sister." Landon interrupted mid-sentence, "I know her far better than you do and I don't think anything is going on. I'll try to talk to her, but if she's pushing you away maybe you should take it as a sign that she just doesn't want you around."

Peering around the corner, I caught sight of Colton throwing his hands up in exasperation. His eyes were narrowed at my brother perched in his usual position on the island, sipping at a wine cooler Dad must have left behind. I watched intently as he tipped the bottle back by the neck, the reminisce of the pink liquid drained. Colton eyed my brother angrily, his jaw clenched because of my brother's passiveness regarding the conversation. Once he realized Landon wasn't going to take a word he said seriously, he shook his head and started toward the front door, pausing before it with a crack of his neck.