{Twelve} Worlds Collide

I fell into step beside Isabelle as she led me to the clear other end of the mall. It wasn't that I didn't know my way around the overcrowded three story building; I had just lost the desire and lacked the energy to try to find my way. Isabelle, mistaking my silence for confusion, had looped her arm through mine and promised to be my personal guide.

"I've been talking way too much about me." Isabelle broke the silence with a laugh. "How was your summer? Any flings?"

The question caused a tight knot to furl in the pit of my stomach. I could of told her then what happened, but even with the words forming on my lips, no sound proceeded passed them. It was as if somewhere in the process of my thoughts forming a coherent answer, I lost the ability to speak.

"What about Colt? You guys seem kind of cozy." She poked at the subject again, nudging my side playfully.

I shook my head immediately. "Absolutely not."

Isabelle eyed me skeptically but to my relief, didn't push at the subject any further.

I continued on beside her, feeling her hand cuff my forearm, eyes trained on something in the distance. Following her startled look, I was welcomed with the all too familiar sight of Kimmy Lee and her friends. I had never had a problem with the overly peppy cheerleader, with the exception of her persistence of trying to get me to join the squad since Freshman year.

The little water and food I'd ate started to come back up as I came to the realization of what seeing her meant.

Kevin wasn't far behind.

Swallowing my anxiety, I scanned my surroundings for any sign of him and grasped Isabelle's arm roughly. "Let's go."

Isabelle didn't have to be told twice. She shook my arm off gently and we continued ahead, eyes on the department store nearing in hopes Kimmy wouldn't notice us or would think we were too busy to stop and catch up.

"Avery! Isabelle! Hey!" Our passing of Kimmy was followed by an enthusiastic greeting that furled a cold knot in the pit of my stomach.

Isabelle smiled forcefully. "Hey, Kim."

"Avery, you know Lindsey was just kicked off the squad and there's another spot open again." Kimmy turned her attention to me, dark eyes glistening with excitement. I started to decline, but the words died on the tip of my tongue seconds before coming out.

Kevin had walked out of the shoe store a few feet away. The index and forefinger on his left hand curled around the straps of the white bag, his eyes on the phone in his other hand as his teeth grazed his bottom lip. I wasn't sure what was more sickening; the sight of him or knowing I had once found an action as simple as that attractive.

I staggered back a step, tripping over the tip of Isabelle's shoes and nearly fell backwards. I grasped the railing at my side to keep from hitting the ground, trying to steady my shaking hand. Isabelle eyed me weirdly from where she stood, her hand outstretched and body still in position to stop me from tumbling backward. Averting my eyes before she could see the fear that shone in them, I looked back to Kimmy.

We stood there in an awkward silence before my best friend shrugged a shoulder carelessly and muttered "Later losers."

Not offended in the least, the girls waved happily before following Kimmy and Kevin into the store. Despite them being out of hearing range, Isabelle waited until we were standing in the middle of the food court to lace her arm through mine and pull me closer.

"You didn't hook up with Kevin Marshall over the summer, did you?"

I was so taken back by the question that I only stared for a few minutes, tears stinging my eyes as desperation for the truth of what happened clawed at me. I managed to finally meet her eyes after a while, her eyes on the menu over my shoulder until I started talking.