{Thirteen} How To Get Away With Murder

My eyes remained glued to the seat beside me in hopes I'd be able to wish away Kevin's desire to sit in it. The bell sounding through the classroom shook me out of my thoughts and I sat back, my eyes drifting toward the mass of kids pouring into the room from the crowded hall. I lowered my gaze to the ground soon after, knowing very well if I met Kevin's eyes on his way into the room I wouldn't be able to keep my emotions at bay.

My faint hope in the pit of my stomach shriveled and died when I heard the sound of Kevin's heavy backpack hit the carpet beside his desk. I dug my nails into my thigh as I tried to force out a shaky breath, but it didn't help in the least. It felt as if someone were taking a heavy weight and pressing it down against my chest, not allowing for much intake of the air around me.

My hand swatted my blue led pencil and notebook off the table as I jumped in my seat, startled by the sudden bell. I slid out from behind the desk and crouched to pick them up. I jerked away when I felt Kevin's hand brush against the top of mine, hitting the back of my head on the chair as I hit the ground hard. Ignoring the dull throb, I swept my stuff into my bag, threw it over my shoulder and rushed passed Mr. Nicholson and out of the room before I could cause any more of a scene.

The second the classroom door swung shut behind me I ran. I knew that it was likely I'd get caught and sent to the Dean, but in that moment it didn't matter. All that mattered was getting as far away from Kevin as humanly possible. I finally collapsed along the outside wall outside the main office, hyperventilating as tears soaked both of my warm cheeks. When I try to take a deep breath and stand, a wave of nausea washes over me with an addition of a little vertigo. I tried once more to stand, but my legs were shaking and aching far too much to support my weight. My vision was so blurred from my tears that I couldn't even make out the Homecoming poster strung up on the wall opposite of me.

A hand rested itself on my shoulder and I prepared myself to rise and run again. Turning quickly, my urge to run dissipated. The school principal Mr. Hefford, bent one knee at my side, eying me worriedly. I opened my mouth to try and excuse my actions, but closed it slowly when I realized I couldn't give him a valid reason for running through the halls or being a mess of emotion outside his office.

After a minute of shared silence, he whispered, "Miss Spencer, I'd like to see you in my office."

*

I crossed my right leg over my left as I shifted uncomfortably in the chair facing the cluttered principal's desk. Stacks upon stacks of manila and multicolored poly folders were on either side, giving him little to no room to write on the small clipboard in the middle of his desk, something I could only assume was a referral for me or contact information for him to get a hold of my parents, or more likely, Landon.

He lifted his head with a frown. "Mr. Nicholson called in saying you caused a scene in the classroom. Another staff member also noted that you were running through the hall. You know running in the halls isn't tolerated at this school, Miss Spencer."

I nodded, but kept my mouth shut. I was afraid if I tried to speak my voice would crack and I'd fall into another fit of hysterics.

Mr. Hefford crossed his arms on his desk, eyes on my file again. He looked back up after a minute, then outstretched his hand across the messy desk. "Is there anything you'd like to talk about, Miss Spencer? This office is a safe space. Anything you say in here stays in here."

I only stared blankly.

I wanted to tell him what happened. I wanted to pour my heart out and finally get this never ending nightmare out into the open so I wasn't in a constant cat-and-mouse chase with my own thoughts. But I couldn't. Mr. Hefford and Mr. Marshall had grown up together, and the soon-to-be Governor was likely helping pay for a lot of the extracurricular activities here at the school.