{Twenty-Nine} Don't Turn Around

I didn't know exactly what to expect walking into Government the next morning.

I knew Kevin would be there, and after the scene he'd made in the cafeteria the other day, I just wanted to hide under a rock until he disappeared. What I was actually greeted with was far beyond anything I could have imagined.

He sat with his head down, bandaged forehead pressed against the cold table top. Even from where I stood in the doorway, I could see blood still seeping through what I'd guess were fresh bandages. They wrapped around his forehead and to the back, where his dark brown hair appeared to be matted with what I'd assume was blood.

I was jolted back into reality by the bell sounding over my head. Hurrying to my desk, I made sure not to have an accidental run in with the injured rapist a few feet away.

I wanted to believe that his injury was from a rough game of football-or perhaps roughhousing with his friends that didn't end so well. But I knew deep down exactly where he'd gotten it from.

Landon.

Between my brother and his best friend's sudden disappearing act and obvious lies, I had no doubt in my mind they were the culprit.

"What are you staring at, Spencer?" Kevin's huff of anger was hushed by my quick intake of breath.

The boy in front of me bore no resemblance to boy who'd raped me under the pier. The piercing blue eyes that haunted me every time I closed my eyes, the full lips that continued to deflect the reality of what happened, they were both mutilated beyond recognition. He could hardly hold either eye open for longer than a few seconds.

"Damn, Marshall." A jock slapped his hand against Kevin's desk, "What happened? Did the chick fight back this time and kick your ass?"

Kevin looked ready to lunge across the desk, jaw clenching so tight it was easy to hear his teeth grinding against one another.

"Leave him alone, bro. Don't want him messing with Kel or Mary." One of the jock's friend's muttered, giving his friend a gentle shove toward the back of the classroom.

The jock wasn't the only one to make comments. As more students flooded into the room, they whispered and pointed in his direction.

I wanted to feel bad for him. I wanted to feel the pitiful pang deep in my stomach and chest, the sympathy for how much pain he was in. I wanted to feel sorry that his friends had dropped him without a second thought.

Instead I felt more at ease. For the first time in months I felt as if I could catch my breath, that I could hear everyone's quiet chatter around me.

For the first time in months I didn't feel alone.

***

I could feel the tension radiating through my house the minute I unlocked the door. Thinking it was just another one of Colton and Landon's petty fights, I readied myself to lecture them about how much trouble they could have been in if they'd been caught last night.

The words died before they had a chance to escape.

My brother sat on the arm of the couch, head down and arms crossed tightly over his chest. Across from him sat Mr. and Mrs. Marshall, both wearing entirely unreadable expressions.

None of them looked to pleased by my sudden appearance.

"What's going on?" I questioned my brother, eyeing the couple on our love seat cautiously.

My brother straightened, opening his mouth in an attempt to respond but was quickly cut off by Mr. Marshall.

"It has come to our attention that our son may have acted without consent." The soon-to-be Governor spoke so nonchalantly that I fought the urge to walk away then and there.