Chapter 1

I slowly open my eyes to complete darkness and groan. My head rushes as I try standing up, causing me to fall over. Instead, I crawl and feel my surroundings.

I follow the edge of a metal wall until I realize that I'm trapped in some sort of box with crates surrounding me. It seemed to be moving up and I figured it had been moving for at least fifteen minutes, but I obviously had no way of knowing.

Panic envelops me and I bang on the metal walls , "Help! Can anyone hear me?!" I sit back against one of the crates, knees tucked to my chest, as my hands begin to throb. Thinking.

Then I realize. I can't remember anything! Faint images flash before my eyes of faces, cities, cars, and classrooms, but none of it makes any sense. "This has got to a dream" I whisper to myself. I pinch myself to wake up, but I'm still in the moving contraption.

Time passes by. It could have been five or thirty minutes, but I couldn't tell the difference at this point. That's when the box crashes to a halt and a lights start to form from a crack, blinding me, as the top of the box opens. I shied my eyes with my arm as I hear many voices.

I look up to see boys. Fifty-sixty of them. They look dirty and tired, but expecting, as if a person shows up in a box every day.

A boy with blonde hair jumps into the box. He's tall with brown eyes that widen when they see me.

"What's taking so shucking long?" An annoyed voice calls from above.

"Did they Klunk their pants yet?" Another boy asks.

"It's a girl." The blond boy says, disbelief lacing his tone.

"A girl!"

"I call dibs!"

"Is she hot?"

"Let me see!"

"Shut it shanks" the blonde boy shouts never lifting his gaze from me.

He holds out his hand and I hesitate.

"We're not gonna hurt you greenie." I realize he has a British accent although I wasn't familiar with these terms they were using. Confused, I grabbed his hand as he pulled me up , holding my arm to make sure I didn't fall over from the sudden motion. "I'm Newt." He says.

"Well are you gonna get the greenie out or not?!" The same annoyed voice yelled from earlier.

Newt pulls me toward the crates and helps me step on them so I can crawl out of the box. As I land on soft grass I stand and slowly take in my surroundings. I am in a field surround by metal walls probably 20 stories high, with four wide openings in each side. In one corner there is a forest and there are shelters throughout the field with boys working everywhere.

"What is this place?" I ask as I spin in circles, not believing what I'm actually seeing.

"This, greenbean, is the glade! Congratulations, your a glader now." There were those weird terms again. I turn to see a dark boy approaching me. He has authority written all over him. "Alright shanks, nothing to see here get back to work." On command the boys start to disperse, leaving me with the dark boy, Newt, and a boy with buzzed hair staring daggers at me. If looks could kill, well, I'd be dead. "That includes you Gally." The boy commands. The boy, presumably named Gally, huffs and storms off, fists clenched.

"Don't worry about him he hates everyone." He rolls his eyes, "I'm Alby, I'm in charge of the glade, and Newt, who've you met already is my second in command. Now we have to show you-"

"Where are the other females? Why can't I remember anything. Why do you keep saying weird words? What is this place?" I talk so fast I'm breathless by the time I finish speaking.

"Shuck greenie can u take a breath between sentences! We don't need you passing out on your first day." He seems annoyed but I want answers, nothing makes sense right now. "As for your memories it happens to all of us. Once a month they send someone up in that box, this month its you congrats, and they don't let us keep anything but our names. And your the only girl they've ever sent up so that's why you haven't seen any others."

"They? Who's they?"

"We call them the creators, the ones who sent us here. Along with the greenie we get a new shipment of supplies every week. Everything that we don't already have here."

"What does greenie mean?"

"It basically means newbie. Okay you ask too many questions" he huffs, "Newt here is gonna take over for me cause I have a problem to deal with in the med jack hut. Newt we're having a gathering in 15 minutes, so be there.

"Good that" Newt says with a smile on his face. "Shall I show you around then?"

"I guess." I stammer.

"Alright but try not to talk my ear off, I can tell your a talker." He laughs and I can't help but laugh along with him. He's so cute when he laughs. Wait did I just say that?

"First off, in the glade we have three rules. One, never harm another glader, that's what we call ourselves. Two, everyone does their part. We all get a job that we're best at and we do it everyday, otherwise this place wouldn't be able to run. And three, never go into the maze." He points towards the openings in the walls. I nod my head in understanding holding back the questions that flow through my head. He smiles, "you look like you'll bloody explode if you don't say something in the next five seconds."

"I just have a lot of questions but I'm trying not to annoy you."

He smirks, "Good that. Let's continue with the tour and then you can ask me your questions, just only ask one at a time I'm not a bloody machine."

I followed Newt through the glade as he explained the jobs there were. I only caught a few; the builders, baggers, med jacks, sloppers, slicers, the runners and the cooks. He also explained to me that the forest was called the deadheads and that was where their graveyard was, although I was confused as to why they needed a graveyard since everyone seemed to be around the age of 16. There was also the kitchen, the med jack hut and a little farming area with a barn. The biggest structure was the homestead with two floors where the boys slept outside on hammocks, except the keepers who were in charge of each type of job.

Although I didn't know him, I felt safe walking next to Newt and I felt a connection to him. He walked close to me and electricity shot through my body whenever his arm touched mine. Okay why am I thinking this, I just met the dude. Get a hold of yourself!

"Any questions?" Newt asks patiently.

"I have millions but none come to mind right now."

He laughs, "okay well I have to go to the gathering but only keepers and those in charge are allowed in so you'll have to wait outside for me." I follow him to an area beside the homestead and sit where he tells me to. "Don't go anywhere."

"Yes sir!" I salute him and he laughs his adorable laugh, walking inside.

I can't help to be curious as to what a gathering is. I walk around the side of the structure until I find a small crack to look through. Shamelessly, I eavesdrop on their discussion, focusing on Newt.

Hey guys! So this isn't the greatest beginning or ending but it's my first story so I'm hoping to improve as the chapters go on. Obviously I don't own any of the characters besides the main girl. If you guys have any suggestions on what you want me to improve about my writing, please let me know. I will definitely have more be added into the relationship with newt, but I was just trying to get through the opening scene which is why there isn't much going on here. I hope you guys enjoy and I will try to update as much as I can! Sorry for any typos in the story! Thanks!