Chapter 16

I woke up to face a white ceiling for the second time since I've been here. I look to my right as I feel pressure on my hand

"Your awake, finally." Newt sighs with a blank expression.

I sheepishly look at him and prepare for his wrath. There is no way in hell I'm gonna get away with the stunt I pulled.

We stare each other down for what feels like forever. It's agonizing why can't he just get on with it already!

"How are you feeling?"

I flex my muscles to check for any discomforts and groan slightly.

"I'm sore from running but otherwise I'm fine. What happened?"

"Why don't you tell me?" There it was. His tone was controlled but there was something in his eyes that was off.

"Didn't Minho or Thomas tell you anything?" I asked confused. Surely he would have wanted to hear the story from them and they were awake when I wasn't.

"They told me what happened. How you separated from Thomas, scared the shuck out of him, almost got yourself killed when you got stuck, and then again when you waited for shucking thing. I'd be pissed at you for that last part if you hadn't killed it. Oh yeah and don't think gally took that too kindly. He now thinks the creators are after us."He's says flatly, his mouth a straight line.

"Okay so you know everything."

"No. No I don't." He breathes out heavily from his nose, his nostrils flaring, "I don't know why you took yourself away from me and went into the bloody maze in the first place when you promised me you wouldn't. Especially since Thomas told me what you said when you got in there."

"I wasn't thinking."

"That's not a good enough excuse for taking yourself away from me like that. I thought you were bloody dead Carly! Do you even care about your own safety."

I was gonna shrug my shoulders but decided against it, "I saw Thomas go inside and then I went in. Without deciding to do so. It was like I was being controlled but I didn't know it at the time."

He sighed again, "First, I thought my best friends were going to die, then I see Thomas go in, my only other friend outside of those walls, and then the love of my life goes inside, and believe me I would have run in after you if there was enough time, even with my bloody limp." My heart stops when he says that I'm the love of his life. He can't possibly mean that can he. "I didn't want to continue with my life after that. I spent the night in the slammer thinking about you, having to listen to chuck tell me you were gonna make it which made the whole situation worse cause I yelled at the poor kid. Then the doors opened and I gain hope once again when I hear that you guys were alive only to have that crushed when I see Thomas carrying, what I thought was your lifeless body, back. Only when I saw you breathing did I truly recover."

Tears welled in my eyes. I made him go through that. What did he mean he wasn't going to continue his life? He couldn't do that! Even if I wasn't here. I can't imagine a world without newt in it. People need him. His friends need him. I need him, "I'm so sorry Newt. Please forgive me."

"Of course I forgive you. If you weren't okay I never would have but you are and that's all I care about, love."

I smile.

"I didn't break one of your promises though."

He furrows his brow.

"You made me promise you to run and to stop being the hero. I ran."

He smiles slightly, "yes but you stopped to kill the griever."

"Oh."

"Yeah. 'Oh'. You need to start looking out for yourself. If not for you then for me." He looks me in the eyes, "I've told you before I can't lose you." He hesitates then says, "I love you Carly."