Chapter 21

Everything happens in a blur after Jeff and Clint inject Thomas with the grief serum.

Gally seemed to have created half an army in two seconds who all seemingly thought gally should be in charge instead of Newt. Obviously I protested against that, causing me to be thrown into the slammer alongside Thomas. They were convinced he was a spy for the creators.

Luckily Newt acted like he didn't care to throw gally off. He thinks newts on his side, as long as I'm safe, and gally knows this. Hopefully he doesn't use that to his advantage.

Now, I'm on the dirt floor of the slammer, attending to Thomas's stomach wound. He doesn't scream like alby and Ben had, which worries me. What will he see? Are him and I really bad? Do I really want to know the truth? I ponder this and decide I do. I don't care who I am, as long as newt gets out of here. I just hope what Thomas did will be worth it in the end. Hopefully, he'll be able to convince gally's army too when he wakes up. If he wakes up. Stop, he's gonna wake up! I think to myself. I can't help but to be negative in this situation. Grievers we're gonna come back every night to take us one by one, not that we'd survive that long without any food. I don't see how gally could think that staying here would be safer than trying to escape!

"Carly?" Newt whispers into the cell. I could see his shadow stretching on the floor from the sun rising over the doors.

"Yeah?" I ask, stretching my limbs from sleeping on the hard ground.

"I'm sorry. You know I hate seeing you in here."

"Don't apologize. You're doing what you have to do to get us out."

He nods his head, "The shanks bloody crazy! He won't let anyone leave and anyone who's not on his side he's threatening to throw in the slammer. I don't know how half of them agree with him. The other half is just acting like they do, like me." He sighs in frustration, running his hands through his fluffy hair repeatedly. The dark spots under his eyes were more apparent than ever at this moment. That worries me.

"When was the last time you got some sleep newt?"

His face contorted as he thought, "I slept for a few hours when you were in the slammer, otherwise, not until the night before the maze."

"That was three days ago!"

He shrugged his shoulders, not caring, "I had more important things on my mind."

I knew that those things were me. I couldn't help but feel guilty that I was the reason for his lack of sleep. I looked up at him sadly and he could tell how I feel, "It's alright, love. I'm not even tired honestly." I knew he was lying though because he was yawning earlier, he was just trying to humor me, like he always does, instead of caring for himself.

Thomas shuffled on the ground beside me. He groaned before sitting up, holding his head in his hands.

"Thomas! Oh thank god! I thought you weren't ever gonna wake up! How do you feel?"

"Like klunk. How long was I out?"

"Only a night surprisingly." Ben and any had been out for 2-3 days before they woke. Things were definitely weird around here. Maybe Thomas and I were different.

"How is that possible?"

"I don't know, you tell me. Don't you remember anything?"

He nods his head as newt and I wait in anticipation, "I know how to get out of here. Minho and I had found it earlier, but it wasn't time to leave yet so they knocked the walls down on us. But now it's time, they're getting angry that we're taking so long. They wanted us out yesterday."