Chapter 12

Hey sorry for not updating for so long! I wasn't sure if anyone liked it or not so I stopped writing for a bit. Here's another chapter for you guys!

I jumped up in bed to the heart aching screams of Ben. Newt seemed to be unaffected by it, but I couldn't see how he could just sleep through it. How could he not care about his friend, he knew him better than I did? Guilt washed over me is I realized that newt probably felt worse than me but he and the other graders were just so used to it they had of way of shutting these kind of things out.

Like his limp. He never told me about it and I won't ask him cause I can tell it's extremely personal, but my curiosity tends to get the best of me.

There's no way I'll be able to go back to sleep with bens screams ringing throughout the glade, so I count the cracks in the wooded ceiling until I hear the doors opening in the walls and newt begins to stir beside me.

"Good morning sleeping beauty." I giggle at his bed head. Half of his hair, the half he slept on, is matted to his face, while the other half is sticking up in different directions.

He smirks at me but it fades as concern etches his features, "Are you alright, love?"

My heart flutters so loud I almost think he can hear it, "yeah Newt it's no big deal really. I feel amazing now. I just needed more sleep I think."

"You scared me. You know that right?"

"No, I didn't." My cheeks redden.

"Of course I did you silly girl." He chuckles at my face that's the color of a tomato by now I'm sure, "I care about you too much to not be."

"I care about you too you know." I challenge.

"Yes, but you're the one that's always in bloody danger if I recall correctly."

I purse my lips in thought but he's right. It's always me that he has to protect. I'm a nuisance to him. I wish their was a way I could help him.

"A penny for your thoughts, love?"

I blush, "Your right. Of course your right. I'm just an inconvenience to you. A burden. Your supposed to be the second in command. Watching over the glade. Not babysitting me 24/7. I wish their was something I could give you in return." I looked down as I fiddled with my hands. I knew what I had said was true but I was still scared that he was going to agree.

He laughs and I whip my head up, hurt filling me, "your joking right?"

I shake my head slowly, confused.

"Carly. Your the best thing that's ever happened to me. Honestly your the only reason I want to wake up in the morning and I don't know why you can't get that through your head. You give me everything just by being here with me. And I know that I promised that I'll get you out but until I do we have each other now. And that's all I care about, that your safe and with me."

My breath catches in my throat at his words and all I can do is pull him in for a light kiss since I can't think of any words to say. He kisses back instantly and cups my tiny face with his large hands, making me feel safer than I ever have before in his strong embrace. When we pull away we're both smiling from ear to ear. Our stomachs growl at the same time and we laugh as we begin to make our way towards the smell of frypans eggs and bacon.

Work in the medjack hut is slow. The only patient we have is Ben and he's already gotten the grief serum so there's nothing we can do for him but wait for it to take its course. Clint lets me leave early because of the screams. One look at me holding my hands to my ears and he could tell I couldn't bare the sound anymore.

I decided to walk through the dead heads. Usually when I get off early I would go and help newt in the gardens, but he's showing the greenie the ropes so I don't want to bother him. I sat against the tree where newt and I had our first kiss and began to day dream. I thought of what life would be like outside the maze. Newt and I would have a nice house with a wrap around porch. We could get married and have a ridiculously huge white wedding cause why not and then eventually have children of our own someday. I sighed at the impossible and outwardly cursed the creators for putting us in this place. Would we ever see our families again? Do we even have families in the first place? Maybe we were orphans. My heart sunk, but I didn't want to lose hope, because newt had so much of it. He truly believed he was going to get me out so I had to believe it just as much, so that I could give him a normal life. Well as normal of a life he can have  after years of being stuck in this hell hole.

I'm snapped out of my thoughts when I hear a twig snap behind me and then talking.

"Your Ben right? Hey aren't you supposed to be in the medjack hut? You don't look to good."

Ben? I walked around the base of the tree only to see Thomas stepping closer and closer to a seething Ben. His purple veins were bulging out from his thin tank top and his eyes were bloodshot. Small growls came out of his mouth along with spit. 

"I saw you! Your bad! Bad! Bad! Bad!" Bens scream sent a shiver down my spine.

I didn't like where this was going, "Thomas. He's been stung. Back away now." Thomas looked at me with fear and slowly started to take a step back towards me. As he did so Ben lunged at him, tackling him to the ground.

"Thomas!" I looked at my surroundings debating whether I should run for help or stay and fight Ben. I choose the ladder. I pick up the thickest stick I can find and smack Ben across the side of the face with it. He falls off of Thomas, who instantly gets to his feet. Ben stands up, growling and narrows his eyes at me. He wants to kill me. I'm going to die. I just stand there and stare death in the face until Thomas grabs my hand and starts to pull me as he runs, "snap out of it Carly!" He pinches my hand as we run and I finally realize the situation that I'm in.

We begin to scream for help as we break through the trees, Ben on our heels. I start to wheeze as Thomas pulls me along beside himself. He has a larger endurance than I do and I'm starting to feel the effects of it. "Cmon Carly keep going!" He shouts encouragements at me to continue running. Just as I see a worried newt running at me with his machete raised I feel a hand grab me by the hair from behind and pull me back. I scream as a few strands tear and fall to the ground. Thomas stops running and turns around, "keep going. Don't stop!" I scream as nails dig into my shoulders, pushing me into the ground further. I hear a loud thud and then a weight crashes onto me.