Chapter 5

The next few days I tried out for the remaining jobs. Cooking with frypan was easy, but it was tedious and I got bored; I never got to spend any time with newt. The builders would have been fun if it weren't for gally ordering me around and making me carry boards three times the size of me. Especially since Jason wouldn't stop following me around. He didn't say anything. He would just stalk behind me and stare which creeped me out. My favorite was the med jacks. Jeff and Clint were hilarious but I accidentally messed up some bandages when I was helping someone so if they don't pick me I'm gonna be a slopper. I didn't have to try out for a slicer since newt convinced gally that it wouldn't be a good job for me. I was grateful for it.

I paced around outside the gathering hall as they decided what my future job would be. Newt reassured me, but I still felt as though I wasn't good enough for any of the jobs and I can not be a slopper.

After what felt like forever, newt came out with a huge grin on his face, his eyes sparkling. My breath stopped as I stared at him and I forgot about my upcoming job. He was so cute and I just wanted to be with him. There I said it. I like him.

"Well?"

"Well what?" He asks with fake confusion, his grin spreading even wider.

"Cmon Newt! I'm panicking! And why are you smiling like that?"

"I may have just influenced Alby to let you be a med jack. Frypan really wanted your help in the kitchen, but I had a feeling that you wouldn't want that." He beams, obviously proud of himself.

"Newt! Thank you! That's amazing!" Without thinking I hug him. He hesitates for a second before hugging me back and my heart falters when he does. I feel safe in his arms. We part, too soon, and he stands there rubbing his neck while my face reddens. "Sorry, too much?" I worry he's gonna say yes because I want to be near him like that again.

"No it's fine." He's still rubbing his neck but he stands closer to me. "You start tomorrow Dr. Carly."

"Okay never call me that again." I laugh as my stomach growls.

"Dinner?" He smiles knowingly.

"Please!" I say laughing again.

We walk hand in hand to the kitchen and I sit down at our usual spot while newt goes and gets the food. When he comes back he sits down next to me, our legs pressing together and I feel the warmth coming off of him.

"So I've been-"

"Hey there love birds" Minho interjects, sitting across from us with his food. "I hope I'm not interrupting."

"Actua-" I begin to say

"I don't care if I am." He looks between me and newt as we talk and a smirk settles onto his face.

"So have you guys kissed yet?" Minho blurts out making me choke on my dinner.

"WHAT?" Newt shouts

"Don't lie to me. I see the way you guys look at each other, always walking together and holding hands. Plus Newt never smiles and laughs around anyone but you guys are always giggling." He looks at us as though it's obvious.

"Hey Minho! Slim it." Newt whispers through clenched teeth and quickly looks at me to see if I heard him.

"Wait she doesn't know!" He screams

"Know what?" I ask oblivious.

He smirks, "If you don't tell her, I'm going to."

Newt looks angry and then scared as he looks from Minho to me.