Chapter 23

Last chapter of book one! Enjoy!

"Are you okay?" I whisper into his ear, still holding onto him as though my life depended on it.

"I'm okay. Are you?" He asks, concerned.

"Yes."

It's still completely dark in the tunnel we seemed to have jumped in to. I can hear everyone shuffling around as we all try to fit into the cramped space.

"What do we do now?" Chuck asks from beside me.

No one says anything, we just keep moving around.

"Oh I found something! It's a drop, but it's our only way out." Minho says from the opposite side of the space.

We all walk towards the sound, "who wants to go first?" Minho asks, clearly not wanting to.

"I'll go." Thomas says. Worry fills me as I here him making his way towards the front. We survived grievers but who knows what's waiting at the end of that gaping hole. We wouldn't be truly safe until we were out into the world. I heard his feet hit metal as he sat down on what I could only assume was a slide. He hesitated a few seconds before shooting down with a slight gasp. We never heard him hit the bottom, but then yet we didn't hear a scream.

"Alright, see you shanks at the end." Minho breathed, before sliding down the metal tube after Thomas.

One by one, the remaining gladers disappeared through the hole until it was just me and newt left.

"You go first, love. I'll be right behind you." He said reassuringly. I still hadn't let him go in the darkness, my hand clutching his. I was scared to leave him alone in the darkness. What if the opening closed and he was trapped here for ever. I couldn't leave him. He could see my resistance and released my hand, causing me to gasp frantically, "I'll go down the second after you, I promise."

I nod my head even though I know he can't see it, before crouching down so that I was level with the slide. I put my legs out in front of me before pushing myself forward.

I gasped at the unexpected slope of the slide, that sent me spiraling at a rapid speed down it. Before I knew it I came crashing down onto the ground, almost hitting the boy who came down before me. Before I could get up a weight settled on top of me as newt toppled out from the opening in the wall. I groaned from the impact, "I'm so sorry, love! I didn't think it'd be that bloody fast. Are you alright?"

I nod by head in return, stretching my muscles.

I looked at my surroundings. We were in a white hallway with lights stretching as far as the eye could see on the ceiling. I took this opportunity to access Newt's injuries. He had a few cuts on his face that would heal over in a day or so, and a small gash on his left forearm that was dripping blood. He saw me staring and smiles slightly, "Don't worry, I can't even feel it."

I ignored him, ripping part of my left sleeve off to wrap around his cut, stopping the blood from falling.

"Thanks Dr. Carly."

I roll my eyes at him and laugh, "Shut up."

He takes my hand firmly in his as we turn to face the remains of our small group. Everyone seemed to have small cuts and gashes on them, but appeared to be fine otherwise. I looked over who made it and realized that Jeff was alone, tears streaming down his face silently. I felt a pang in my chest. Clint didn't make it. A sob built up in my chest when I felt newt squeeze my hand. This wasn't the time to mourn. We could do that later. Right now we had to focus on getting out, so that their deaths would mean something.