Chapter 19

"What the shucks going on?" Newt yells.

"The doors! They aren't closing!"

My face pales. Not closing? They can't just not close? What about the grievers? I look to newt for an answer. Everyone else seems to be doing the same thing.

"Alright Minho, Thomas go gather all the weapons you can get and start passing them around! Winston and Zart go with them! Hurry!" They take off running the second newt makes the command.

"Clint, Jeff! Move alby to a safe place in the homestead go! Bring him anything he needs!"

"Good that!"

"Everyone one else! Find a buddy and hide in the homestead! Start building a barricade, but do the door last so people can get in!" Everyone nods, panicking, and starts running in wild directions.

"What about me?" I ask wanting to help.

He whips his head around and firmly places his hands on my shoulders, "You are going to hide. In our room. I want you to go under the bed and stay there until I come get you." He looks me in the eye seriously, but I can see the fear hidden underneath.

"Wait, your not coming with me?"

"I have to go help Thomas and Minho! I have to make sure everyone's safe especially you! So please just bloody listen to me just this one time Carly! Please!"

"Newt we need all the help we can get." I protest. I knew I should be listening to him, but the three of them can't defend a hoard of griever by themselves.

He groans aggressively and grabs my wrist pulling me away until he sees chuck, "Chuck! Take Carly to our room and hide with her! Make sure she stays there understood!"

He seems hesitant at first, but one look at newts angered expression and he nods his head, "yes sir."

His pudgy hand takes mine as he begins to pull me along with him towards the homestead. I know that chuck and I are about the same height, I have a few inches on him, for now at least, but jeez the kid has a strong grip.

I watch as newt limp towards where Minho and Thomas had run off too. I fill with worry at the sight of him disappearing into the dark night. I would have followed him if not for chucks death grip on my hand. That's when I hear the sound that haunts my nightmares. Grievers lots of them. The other boys did too and that's when all hell broke loose. They lost any sense they had as they began running off towards the homestead, the box, and even the woods to take cover. Luckily chucks grip on my hand loosened at the sound, allowing me to take off running after newt. I wasn't fast but I was definitely faster than chuck.

"I'm sorry chuck! Hide in the homestead with the others!" I screamed over my shoulder as I ran towards my boyfriend. He was not going to be happy with me but I didn't care. I had to know he was safe. I knew he was the leader but why couldn't he have just hid with me in the homestead?! 

It was now completely dark. The walls were supposed to close a half hour ago, making it hard to see. I slowed to a jog as I checked my surroundings. I could hear the clicking sounds of the grievers as they started to appear from the doors. Then I heard screams and that's when I took off running, towards the sound.

I saw a group of boys fighting a griever off to my left and veered toward them, running faster than I ever have in my life. One of the boys through a spear at its head, killing it instantly. "Bloody hell! Let's go! Get to the homestead!" I quickly recognized my boyfriends voice as the one who killed the griever. Relief flooded me. He was alright!

"Newt!"

He whipped his head towards me at the sound of my voice. Hundreds of emotions flashed across his face at once, most unrecognizable, but three that I expected; shock, angry, then fear.

"Carly! Where's chuck? I told you to get to safety!" He yelled running up to me and grabbing my arm as he pulled me after the rest of the boys in the group.

"I told him to go to the homestead, he's with the others."

"Don't you ever bloody listen? Do you have a shucking death wish?" He bellows.

"No."

"Well it sure bloody seems like it! Your going to the homestead now and your not getting out of my sight once we get there!"

I was fine with that so I didn't respond as we sprinted towards the building.

"Where's Minho and Thomas?" I ask frantically looking around for them.

"They went to the homestead! Where you should be!"

I sigh in relief. They were safe.

We were about two hundred feet away from the structure, when a griever obstructed our path. The others started to fight it, and I'm sure newt would have joined in if I wasn't there. Instead he pulled me around it, leaving the remaining gladers to fend for themselves. We met up with another group as we started to run again. I heard a scream from behind me and looked back to see about three grievers at our heels, taking one of the boys trailing behind and tearing him to shreds. I screamed and pulled newt faster beside me. The other boys took the lead, newt trailing behind from his limp and I could see that he wasn't going to make it. No! I looked behind us at the closing gap between us and them.

He saw it too and with wide eyes screamed, "Just keep going! Get to safety!"

I shook my head no.

As a griever was about to pounce on newt, I grabbed him and pushed him ahead of him, just as its weight crashed down on to me.

I closed my eyes, ready to face my destiny, as Newt screamed a blood curling scream behind me.