Chapter 22

The door to the slammer we were in slammed opened. Thomas and I were roughly grabbed by the arms as they pulled us out, binding our wrists behind our backs. Jeez what do they think we're gonna do? Two of us can't beat up the entire glade. Especially Thomas, who was acting as though he was still unconscious.

"Move! Shucking go!" They yelled into my ears, aggressively pushing us forward towards the south door. Well they dragged Thomas.

There was a group of gladers gathered around the door, which confused me, until I saw the wooden sticks in the ground. They looked like crosses and I didn't understand what they were for until they began to tie my bound hands to the middle of one of them.

"What is this?"

"This is an offering." Gally stated, like it was completely normal.

"What! Gally they're not gonna stop! They're just gonna keep coming every night until everyone one of us is dead! Don't you understand that? Thomas can get us out of here! He will remember, Gally! We can all get out!" I yell, struggling against the ropes.

Gally just rolls his eyes at me, "Tie the greenie up as well." He says, nodding his head in the direction of Thomas.

That's when we act. Thomas jumps to his feet, punching whoever was near him in the face, while I kick the boy in front of me in the groan causing him to fall to the ground. The 37 boys we had gathered on our side aided our sides with weapons, facing gally and the others, while newt ran to me, cutting me loose and holding me close to his side. He had his machete held out in front of us.

"It's over Gally!" Thomas yelled to my left, "but it doesn't have to be! You can come with us, all of you!" He looks between the gladers with honest eyes.

"They don't own us and I'm not gonna stay here until we die, cause that's what's gonna happen if we don't leave."

"He's just trying to scare you, don't listen to him." Gally protests.

"No I'm not trying to scare you. You're already scared. I'm scared. All I know is that we're leaving. Now. We're ending this." He gestures towards the group behind us, "if you want to come this is your last chance."

The boys look between one another in fear and confusion. They obviously didn't know what to do and I prayed that they chose to come with us. Although I didn't particular know or like some of them, I didn't want anyone else to die, especially when they could have been saved.

One boy crosses over to our side, then two more. Forty. There was forty of us. I had to keep track of everyone, I had too.

"Seriously! You're getting yourselves killed!" Gally roars.

"Come with us Gally. You don't have to die. Just come with us." I say earnestly. I hated gally, but I had to save as many people as I could. I had to.

He eyebrows furrowed for a few seconds before he shook his head, finalizing his decision.

With one last sweep of his eyes, Thomas looked at the remaining gladers. There was about 15 of them left, "Alright. We're leaving now."

The boys looked hesitant but stayed out as we made our way towards the maze. I felt bad but there was nothing else we could do to convince them to come.

I held my breath as I stepped through the doors. I never thought I would be doing this again. Flashbacks ran through my mind of the night I spent in here, sending a small shiver through me.

"You alright, love?" Newt asks soothingly. He knows what's wrong, but there's nothing we could do about it now. We just had to focus on getting out alive, then everything would be normal. I sighed at the thought, this was the last obstacle we had to face. Our dreams could finally come true.