Chapter 8

I wake up to a white ceiling and my nose burns from the scent of sterilizer. I realize I'm in the med jack hut. I sit up quickly causing my head to pound and my vision to blur for a few seconds before returning to normal.

I hear soft snores and see newt sitting in a wooden chair, his head in his arms on the edge of my bed. He looks like he hasn't slept in days and his nails are red from him biting them. I stare at him for a few seconds and smile.

I push a few strands of blonde hair away from his face. He jumps at my touch, looking around. His eyes focus on me and he grabs me, pulling me into a tight hug.

"Bloody hell Carly you scared the crap out of me! Are you okay?"

"I can't...breathe." I gasp, my face pressed tightly in his chest.

"Oh sorry" he chuckles as he releases me and I suck in a breathe of air.

"Are you okay Newt? You look awful." Concern fills me as I see the dark spots under his bloodshot eyes.

"I can say the same about you love." I stick my tongue out at him but my heart flutters at the name. Will I ever be able to control myself around him? "I haven't slept the entire time you were out. I was so worried you weren't gonna wake up. I must have fell asleep two minutes before you woke up, sorry, I wanted to be here when you did."

I smiled at him. Butterflies entered my stomach as I thought about him staying here by my side. "How long was I out?"

"A day and a half."

I gaped, my mouth hanging open, "What happened while I was out?"

He hesitated before answering, "Jason was banished." He looks down. I thought I would be happy to hear that but instead I felt terrible. No one should have to die like that no matter what they did. There wasn't anything I could do about it now and I knew Newt felt that he deserved it, so I didn't say anything.

Just then Clint and Jeff walk in, "Hey your awake, great." Clint smiled.

"About shucking time. Now we can get newt out of here. He was shucking annoying, asking too many questions and yelling at anyone who got too close to you. I thought he was gonna bite me at one point." Jeff smirks as newts face reddens and I laugh at his cuteness.

Clint nudges Jeff, "slim it, he was just worried about the shank. Don't tease him about his love life." Jeff laughs at that and newt gets even redder.

"But on a regular note, I'm gonna check your head Carly. You landed pretty hard when you fell." He probs my head with his hands and I wince at the spot where my head collided with the ground, newts eyes fill with concern and he frowns before his jaw tightens.

"Seems to be a minor concussion at most. I'm gonna say you passed out from the shock, but play it safe, don't move around too much, drink water. Your a med jack you know the rules." I nod, thanking him. "Want me to change your bandages newt?" He asks, his gaze turning to newt.

"No I don't really need them anyway." I furrow my eyebrows in concern and look newt over. His right knuckle have thick white bandages on them. He catches me looking and hides his hands in his lap, looking away from me for the first time since he woke up.

Jeff and Clint look between the two of us. "Well we'll leave you guys to catch up." Clint drags out a smirking Jeff and he waves. I wave back just as he goes through the door.

"What happened to your hand?" Worry consumes me.

He sighs and holds his bandaged hand out for me to see, "I may have hit Jason a little too hard" he shrugs his shoulders like it was no big deal. "It's not like he didn't deserve it" He pauses, "He deserved a lot worse." His jaw tightens at the thought and I gulped, memories of the night flooding through my mind.