10. "I haven't been able to wear it."

Triple update: Make sure you have read Chapter 9

Saturday, November 3, 2018  

It has been 3 weeks since I attempted to take my own life. I don't remember much about the first week after my attempt, all I know is that Avery and Hunter refused to leave my side when I was in the hospital. Everyone refuses to tell me who found me, they keep saying that it is better to wait until I was all better. I even tried to invoke friend code but no one would budge. For the past two weeks, I have been in rehab being counseled on how to deal with my stress, going through therapy about the video and how it affected me. I will no longer be attending Lakeland High School, instead, Hunter's mom is going to homeschool not just me but Avery and Hunter as well because they insist that I not go through this alone. Plus everyone close to me was disgusted by how fast everyone at that school turned on me since the video was leaked. 

I am finally being released from rehab, the nurse leads me to the waiting room. Waiting for me is my big brother Maverick, he walks up and hugs me before going to sign some papers, then there is Avery, Mike & Anna (Avery's Parents), Hunter, Julie & Thomas (Hunter's parents), and ... Joel.

My eyes widen as they all stand up, Avery and Hunter waste no time rushing up and engulfing me in their love. Avery's parents are the next to hug me followed by Hunter's parents. Once we finish our hugs my eyes land on Joel who is still planted in front of the chair he was previously sitting in tears stain his face. Joel is clutching his leather jacket in his hand while he wears a jean one. His brown hair is disheveled and he has dark bags under his eyes. I start walking toward him closing the space between us. I wrap my arms around him and soon his arms are wrapped around me, enveloping me in his scent of pine and sandalwood. Joel pulls back and wraps the leather jacket around me.

"I haven't been able to wear it," Joel states in a voice just above a whisper, it cracking in the process.

"What?"

"The jacket, I uh haven't been able to wear it since, you know." I nod letting Joel know I understand what he means. He pulls me back into a hug, back into his warmth, the warmth I felt so briefly before everything happened.

"Hey, sis, I don't mean to break up the moment, but we are kind of taking up half of the waiting room, and we should probably get going." My brother pops my little Joel bubble, I look around and notice that everyone has been watching us, I can feel the blood rushing to my cheeks. I pull away from Joel but he keeps me under his arm as we walk to our respective cars. Everyone gets into their family cars, except for Joel who gets into mine.

"I hope you don't mind sis but Joel will be staying with us for now." Maverick states nonchalantly like it is no big deal.

"What?" I look at Joel who is in the backseat.

"Joel is living with us, and he has been since everything happened." What? I am so confused.

"I mean I don't mind, but why?"