Bonus: "Thanks Mom!"

A/N: This is a short throwback chapter to tide you over until I can get my chapters in order. I also changed a bit in the first chapter, now their grandparents never had custody of Maverick and Maia. 

"Mom! Have you seen my dance shoes?" I yell while desperately scrounging around for my ballet flats. At this rate, I'll be late to my dance class, again.

"They're in the foyer where you left them." My mom's honey-like voice drifts through the house, there is a hint of snark in her voice, so I guess I know where I get it from. 

"Thanks, Mom!" My voice filling the house then becoming muffled when I throw my black Lachsa hoodie on. I trot to the foyer and scoop up my flats then slip them into my dance bag. My mom enters the foyer from the kitchen and smiles at me, the smile reaches her eyes crinkling them and creating crows feet. My mom's eyes are an ocean of blue just like mine but hers are more mature.

"Maverick Honey! Your sister is ready to go, please hurry up before she is late to class." 

"Ugh, why do I have to take her, I always take her." Maverick doesn't bother hiding the disgust in his voice. 

"She'll be able to drive soon enough, but for now it is your payment for living in this house and eating our food for free. Now hurry before Maia is late." My mom's voice is sweet but has a finality to it. I can't wait until I am 16 in a week then I'll be able to get my license and drive myself around.

"Fine, but only because I know you and dad have to go to some lunch banquet." Maverick appears from the depths of his room.

"That's my boy." My mom ruffles Mavericks hair and sends us on our way.

2 hour later

Maverick comes bursting through the dance studio doors, tears soaking his face. I've never seen him like this before.

"Maia we have to go ... Mom and Dad were in a car accident! They're not gonna make it." And just like that my world has changed, just like that, I lost my love for dance because it was where I found out that my parents were going to die.

After everything, I transferred out of Los Angeles County High School for the Arts and into Lakeland High School, where my next hell would begin soon enough.