14. "Where is my best friend?"

A/N: The Two different POVs in this chapter occur at roughly the same time

"She's in shock, it may take her a bit to come out of it." I hear a woman's voice carries its way to my ears, I know that voice but I can't put my finger on it. All I know is that I am sitting in a hospital bed with my knees drawn up to my chest and I can't seem to pull my gaze away from the powder blue paint on the wall.

"Thank you, Mrs. Price!." Joel's voice also enters my ears. Oh, that's right Avery's mom is a doctor. 

"Where is my best friend?" and there is Avery herself. If I could move I would wrap my arms around her but since I can't her arms around me will have to do.

"Hey, M It's Avery, I just wanted to let you know that everything is okay. Maverick, Joel, the house, everything, okay, so if you would like to come out of your shell that would be lovely, if not that is okay too." Avery's voice is injected with softness, but I want my snarky, sassy Avery to be the one to get me out of this. I see Hunter walking around the hospital bed and she wraps her arms around me too. I'm tired of feeling helpless, god why can't I just snap out of it.

"Hi, Maia it's time to leave so Joel is going to pick you up to take you home, ok?" Hunter whispers to me and I can feel my turning into saucers, I honestly don't know if they widen because I'm afraid to go home or because Joel is going to pick me up.

"Well, that got a reaction out of her." Avery remarked her snarkiness seeping back in.

"What did I miss? She didn't do anything"

"Hunter, her eyes widened to the fricking moon." 

"Oh! Wow! How did I miss that her eyes are huge?" Hunter chimed.

"Are you ready for me to pick her up?" No 

"Yeah just be careful with my best friend." Ugh

"Relax, I like her, I'm not gonna break her before I get to play with her." Aww, wait, weirdo. Cue the flushing of my cheeks. Okay, Maia time to open your mouth. Too late. Joel slides his arms underneath my knees and behind my back. Ooh, he's warm! What is wrong with me? Before I know what I am doing I am literally snuggling into Joel's chest. I look up at him and touch his face.

"Welcome back!" Joel smiles at me and my cheeks heat even more. I nod, all I can do is freaking nod. What does Joel do? He chuckles, Joel chuckles, I'm in his arms acting like an idiot and he chuckles. At this point, I try to wriggle out of his arms but it's no use, he's got me good.

"Settle down Maia, I'm just taking you to the car." Joel soothes, his voice is calm and  I melt into a puddle. Joel starts walking towards the door holding me as if I weighed nothing. It doesn't take long to get to the car, Maverick opens the back door of his car so Joel can put me in. I must've had a confused look on my face because Joel whispers in my ear.