Chapter 5 - What's the Catch?

"Rise and shine, doll!" Negan strode into the medical room at 6 AM two days later. Aven had spent two more nights in her hospital bed so Dr. Carson could make sure she was steady enough to get around on her own. She still felt weak and fatigued but her dizziness subsided and she was consistently keeping food down.

Aven groaned, opening her eyes only slightly to look at Negan. She pushed the thin blanket off herself preparing to get up but instead stayed lying down, her body deeply opposed to leaving the comfort of the small bed. Her eyes fell closed again but shot open when she felt Negan flick a leather-gloved finger against the tip of her nose.

"Get your lazy ass out of bed," he said with his face in hers. "Free ride's over."

"What time is it?" Aven groaned, sitting up and rubbing her eyes.

"Six. I have some shit to take care of so we need to get you situated before I go."

"Right, uh, look Negan," Aven began getting to her feet carefully. "Thank you so much for rescuing me, really. I'm grateful you guys were there." Negan grinned down at her and she was reminded why she'd been so easily persuaded to stay. It was that very reason she couldn't.

"Well you are very fucking welcome, sweetheart. My pleasure, in fact. We do not fucking tolerate rape here and I'm just sorry you didn't get a swing at that asshole yourself," he said, one side of his mouth quirking up in a small grin, pleased as ever with himself and completely oblivious to the way his casual mention of her assault made his guest even more uncomfortable. "I'm a possessive guy but I can't say I wouldn't hand Lucille over for a little girl on girl action."

"No, that's okay," she began awkwardly, her brow furrowing at her introduction to Negan's relationship with his bat. "But I um...I think I probably shouldn't stay. I mean, I'll stay for a little to make up for whatever resources I've used but-"

"You shouldn't stay or you don't want to stay?" Negan interrupted, his unwavering gaze demanding unbroken eye contact. She didn't answer at first, having hoped this wouldn't be much of a conversation and he'd let her do her share and go on her way.

"I just...probably shouldn't." She managed a small, "no offense" smile.

"Well, hold on there, doll. I could have sworn you told me you were traveling alone." His gaze intensified, causing Aven to squirm inwardly, the only outward indication being her hesitation to answer. She didn't want to be rude but she'd grown unused to having to smile and spare feelings. After leaving home and going on the road, she'd been trying to navigate life with as little confrontation as possible. She wasn't a pushover but she always chose the route that required the least amount of interpersonal trouble. The dead roaming should have been the most difficult part of the apocalypse, but it pailed in comparison to the suffering and drama live human beings created. People always had to make something out of nothing. Unfortunately, Negan was only human and seemed to love drama.

"You weren't lying to me, were you?" he continued. "You got somebody you gotta go back to?" Aven sighed and shook her head. "You sure as shit better not have a team out there lookin' for ya coming to cause me trouble."

"No, I was traveling alone. I promise." Aven sounded almost bored and Negan was starting to believe she was shielding her demeanor on purpose. Either that or she was completely lacking in emotion or empathy, a thought that didn't exactly ward him off. Another sociopath could be a valuable addition to the compound.

"So then where are you in such a fuckin' hurry to run off to?"

"Look, I'll stay for a few weeks and pull my weight but-

"I believe I asked you a question," Negan's voice boomed, echoing in the relatively empty room and he stepped in closer to tower over her. "And I'll let you in on a little pro-tip: it would probably be in your best interest to answer me when I am fucking speaking to you." He ended his statement as though he were chiding a child. Aven gritted her teeth, her mask of neutrality slipping ever so slightly as she tensed to avoid snapping back at him and causing the exact type of confrontation she tried to avoid. "So tell me, doll, what makes you say you probably shouldn't be here?"