Chapter 64 - The Last Outpost

2:02 PM
By the time Negan arrived back at the Sanctuary with a few Saviors in tow, Eugene had cleared half the entire yard of walkers using car radios and an iPod attached to a drone. Negan hadn't thought Eugene had any part in Alexandria's attack, but he still threatened death if Eugene couldn't get rid of the walkers; he was really glad he didn't have to kill him.

"You do realize the storm of shit I'm gonna dump on Rick soon as I am clear of the shit storm he dumped on me?" Negan asked, strolling towards Eugene in the otherwise empty conference room, Lucille at his side.

"I do, indeed," Eugene replied.

"God damn, Eugene. How does it feel to be the second most important person here?" Well, maybe the third, Negan thought. "How does it feel to save these good people?"

"It feels great," he said flatly.

"Boss, we're movin' out," Simon said over the radio. Negan nodded Eugene out the door to go down to the trucks and then closed the door and brought the radio to his mouth.

"Si, do me a fuckin' favor and make sure Aven doesn't leave."

"Wouldn't let her, boss."

"But keep your fucking hands off of her," Negan growled.

"Roger that."

----------------

2:47 PM
"Hold it, what the fuck is that?" Simon grumbled from the passenger's seat, urging the Savior driving to stop the car. Ahead in the road, just like before the attack on Alexandria not even a week earlier, was a barracide of logs and trees. "Didn't you guys go this way before?"

"We did, this wasn't here," the Savior replied, his eyes wide. "They just put that there." Both Saviors and workers were hopping out of the trucks to see what was going on and Eugene met Simon up at the front.

"How far to the outpost?" Eugene asked. "Can we alert them in time?"

"No," Simon breathed. "Too far to radio. We have to clear this now."

"Negative," Eugene replied, pointing further down the road to where several more roadblocks lay. "We won't get there in time."

"Fuck," Simon hissed, whipping around on his heel and stalking back to the truck. "Everyone start clearing this now!" he ordered. "Eugene, make sure they're moving. I have to get closer to home and tell Negan. Aven's there; he'll fucking kill all of us if we let her die." Eugene nodded and turned back to the rest of the group.

"You heard the man!" he shouted. "Hop to it!" Several Saviors began clearing the block right in front of them, while several more progressed down the road with the workers to clear the others. Simon backed out of the line of trucks and sped away the way he came.

----------------

3:11 PM
Aven sat atop one of the guard posts in her heavy jacket with her leather vest over it, her notebook on her lap and a sniper rifle on her knee. She'd only shot one a few times and she was bored as hell and decided to practice on a few stray walkers. Negan did say to make a friend and she figured he of all people couldn't exactly argue that a weapon isn't a companion. Dwight had radioed twenty minutes earlier to say he and his group would be back in ten minutes, but she wasn't worried; he could have miscalculated or they could have run into some delay.

"Dwight, ETA?" she asked into the radio. She waited a long moment, figuring he might need time to get to his walkie. But a full minute passed and he didn't answer. "Dwight, come in."

Silence.

"Dwight, where the fuck are you?"

More silence. Until, in the near distance, gunfire. And then more gunfire. Aven jumped to her feet too quickly and got a little dizzy, leaning forward on the railing before straightening back up and turning to yell to the Saviors and workers below.