Chapter 4

A cab with the Off-Duty light illuminated.

Jennie step out into the intersection and stand under the traffic light, waving her arms. The taxi slows down on approach and tries to swerve around her, but Jennie sidesteps, keeping its bumper on a collision course, forcing it to stop.

The driver lowers his window, angry.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"I need a ride."

The cabbie, with his thick-lensed glasses, scoffs, "It's two in the morning. I'm done tonight. No more work."

"Please."

"Can you read? Look at the sign." He slaps the top of his car.

"I need to get home."

The window begins to rise.

Jennie immediately reaches into her pocket and pull out the plastic bag containing her personal belongings. She ripped it open (which also rips the name Dr. Jennie Kim that was written on it) and then Jennie shows him the money clip.

"I can pay you more than-"

"Get out of the road."

"I'll double your rate."

The window stops six inches from the top of the door.

"Cash."

"Cash."

Jennie thumb quickly through the wad of bills. She can probably can cover the double rate.

"Get in if we go!" he yells.

Jennie finished counting her funds-$332 and three expired credit cards. She climbs into the backseat and tells the driver where to go.

"That's twenty-five miles!"

"And I'm paying you double." He glares at Jennie in the rear view mirror.

"Where's the money?"

Jennie peels off $100 and handed it into the front seat. "The rest when we get there." He snatches the money and accelerates through the intersection.

Jennie examines the money clip. Under the cash and the credit cards, there's an Seoul driver's license with a ID picture of Jennie, however, Jennie swore that she have never seen it. There's also an ID for a gym she never been to, and a health insurance card from a carrier she never used.

The cabbie sneaks glances at her in the rear view mirror.

"You have bad night," he says.

"Looks that way, huh?"

"I thought you are drunk, but no. Your clothes are torn. Face bloody."

Jennie tries to think as if she were in his shoes; looking at a woman, standing in the middle of an intersection at two in the morning, looking homeless and deranged.

"You're in trouble," he says.

"Yeah."

"What happened?"

"I'm not exactly sure."

"I take you to hospital."

"No. I want to go home."

___________________________________

With each passing mile, Jennie starts to feel some semblance of her sanity returning, if for no other reason than she'll be home soon.