Chapter 18

Jennie wonders, Is this what God feels? 

The rush that comes from having literally spoken a world into existence? And yes, this world already existed, but it connected us to it. Out of all the possible worlds, Jennie found this one, and it's exactly, at least from the doorway of the box, what she wanted.

Jennie steps down, glass crunching on the concrete beneath her shoes as afternoon light pours through the windows high above, striking a row of iron generators from another era.

Although she have never seen it in daylight, Jennie definitely knows the room.

The last time she was there, a harvest moon was on the rise over Han River, and Jennie was slumped back against one of these ancient contraptions, drugged out of her mind, staring at the other her who had forced Jennie at gunpoint into the depths of the abandoned building she is currently in.

Jennie couldn't have imagined the journey.

The hell that actually awaited her.

The box is situated in a far corner of the generator room, hidden away behind the stairs.

"Well?" Jisoo asks.

"I think I did it. This is the last place I saw before waking up in your world."

  __________________________________  

The distant tower is familiar.

It's the one Jennie knows and love.

The sun keeps dropping, and the three of them have been walking twenty minutes before it dawns on them that they haven't seen a single car on the road.

"Kind of quiet, isn't it?" Rosé ask.

Jisoo looks at Jennie.

The silence wasn't so noticeable out in the industrial wasteland near the river.

Here it's startling.

There are no cars out.

No people.

It's so quiet that they can hear the current running through the power lines above them.

The Incheon station station is closed—no trains are running.

The only other sign of life is a stray black cat with a corkscrew tail, slinking across the road, a rat in its jaws.

Rosé says, "Maybe we should go back to the box."

"I want to see my home."

"The vibe here is wrong, Jennie. Can't you feel it?" Jisoo retorts.

"We're not going to learn anything about flying the box if we don't explore where it takes us." Jennie explains.

Rosé  sighs then asked, "Where's home?"

"Seoul."

"Not exactly walking distance."

"So we'll borrow a car."

They walk a residential block of downtrodden row houses. No street sweeper has been by in weeks. There's trash everywhere. Disgusting, splitting bags of it in huge piles up and down the sidewalk.

Many of the windows have been boarded up.

Some are covered in sheets of plastic.

From most hang pieces of clothing.