Chapter 15

"We should go back," Rosé says through chattering teeth.

The wind has grown deafening.

Jisoo looks at Rosé, confused, then nods.

Their cheeks have gone blue.

They are all violently shivering. Their hairs is matted with snow

Jennie glances back, but the box is gone.

Her fear spikes.

The snow is blowing sideways, and the houses in the distance have vanished.

In every direction, it all looks the same.

Jisoo's head is nodding up and down, and Rosé is rubbing her palms together.

Jennie keeps squeezing her hands into fists, trying to force warm blood through to her fingertips, but it's a losing battle. Her ring of thread is encrusted with ice.

Her thought processes are beginning to spin out:

I'm shaking with cold.

We fucked up.

It isn't just cold. It's way-below-zero cold.

Lethally cold.

They have no idea how far they have come from the box.

Does it even matter anymore, when we're functionally blind? Jennie thoughts.

Keep moving.

Jisoo has a faraway look in her eyes, and Jennie wonders if it's the shock setting in.

Jisoo's bare legs are in direct contact with the snow.

"It hurts," she says.

Bending down, Rosé lifts Jisoo in her arms and stagger into the storm, holding Jisoo tightly against her as Jisoo's entire body shakes.

They're standing in a vortex of wind and snow and killing cold, and it all looks exactly the same. If Jennie doesn't stare down at her legs, the motion of it all induces vertigo.

It occurs to Jennie: we're going to die

But they keep going.

One foot in front of the other, their faces now on fire from the cold, Rosé's arms aching from holding Jisoo, her feet in agony as the snow works down into her shoes.

Minutes pass and the snow falls harder and the cold keeps biting.

Jisoo is mumbling, delirious.

They can't keep doing this.

Can't keep walking.

Soon—so soon—They will have to stop and they will freeze to death together in this awful world that isn't even theirs.

Jennie thinks about her home. Her wife. Her Lisa.

Think about not ever seeing her again, and Jennie tries to process what that means as her control over the fear finally slips—

There's a house in front of them.

Or rather, the second story of a house, because its first floor has been completely buried in snow that's drifted all the way up to a trio of dormer windows.

"Jisoo."

Jennie noticed her eyes are closed.

"Jisoo!" Rosé shouts.

Jisoo opens them. Barely.

"Stay with us." Rosé whispers.

They walked through the thick layer of snow until they finally reached it.