Chapter 11

Jennie slams awake.

Someone is knocking on the door.

She hit the light and stumble out of bed, disoriented, no idea how long she's been sleeping.

The knocking gets louder.

"I'm coming!"

Jennie tries to open the door, but it's locked from the outside.

She hears a deadbolt turn.

The door opens.

It takes Jennie a moment to realize who the woman in a black wrap dress, standing in the hallway holding two cups of coffee and a notebook under one arm.

Then it hits her—Jisoo.

"Jennie, hi."

"Right, yes."

"Sorry, I didn't want to just barge in."

"No, it's fine."

"Do you have some time to speak with me?" Jisoo asks.

"Um, sure."

Jennie let her in and closes the door. She pull out the chair from the desk for Jisoo.

Holding something, Jisoo offers, "I brought you coffee if you're interested."

"Please," Jennie says, taking it. "Thank you."

She sits on the end of the bed.

The coffee warms her hands.

"They had this chocolate-hazelnut nonsense, but you like straight-up regular, right?" Jisoo informs.

Jennie takes a sip. "Yeah, this is perfect."

Jisoo sips her coffee, says, "So this must be strange for you."

"You could say that."

"Yang said he mentioned that I might come talk with you?"

"He did."

Jisoo nods. "Good. I'm the lab psychiatrist. I've been here almost nine years. I'm board-certified and all that. Ran a private practice before I joined Velocity Laboratories. Do you mind if I ask you some questions?"

"Okay."

"You reported to Yang..." She opens her notebook. "Quote, 'There's just this gaping hole where the last ten years should be.' Is that accurate?"

"It is."

Jisoo scribbles something with a pencil onto the page.

"Jennie, have you recently experienced or witnessed a life-threatening event that caused intense fear, helplessness, or horror?"

Jennie's expression turned depressed at the memory, "I saw Lalisa Manoban shot in the head right in front of me."

"What are you talking about?"

"You people murdered my...this woman I was with. Right before I was brought here." Jisoo looks legitimately stunned. "Wait. You didn't know about that?"

Swallowing, Jisoo recovers her composure. "That must have been horrifying, Jennie." She says it like she doesn't believe Jennie.

"Do you think I'm making it up?"

"I'm curious if you remember anything from the box itself, or your travels during the last fourteen months."

"Like I said, I have no memory of it."

Jisoo makes another note, says, "Interestingly, and maybe you don't recall this...but during that very short debriefing, you did say your last memory about something..."